FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
This is somewhat of an update to this thread:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/post36971.html
Basically the story is that I got a bunch of seed from Bob Ziemer last fall when I paid him a visit. I put it all into cultures and nearly all of it germinated. Some of the cultures got contaminated and I had to deflask them to save the babies. One of them started flowering a month after being deflasked. That means that the bloomer was 3 months or so old and I never had them on any hormones. Here's a photo of the "early bloomer":
Well, I self-pollinated the single flower that bloomed and it set seed! I then took all 15 or so of the seeds and flasked them on 3-1-2010. Only 6 of them germinated and it took nearly a month, but amazingly after two months in vitro from seed (one month after germinating), two of the babies are already flowering:

They aren't on any hormones and never have been. I think it's genetic! It might be another cultivar...Dionaea "Early Bloomer" :)
Matt, Matt liked this
By 95slvrZ28
Wow, that's really interesting. Although I'm not sure how many people are going to want plantlets that flower, haha.
By Matt
95slvrZ28 wrote:Wow, that's really interesting. Although I'm not sure how many people are going to want plantlets that flower, haha.
Yeah, it definitely wouldn't be a high demand plant, but that doesn't take away from the interesting genetic trait, does it? ;)
By moof
Oo I'd like one for sure! Very interesting!
By hackerberry
Hehe, that is so cute!

hb
By Steve_D
Matt wrote:amazingly after two months in vitro from seed (one month after germinating), two of the babies are already flowering
My gosh! That is very weird. Also very interesting. You have a lot of interesting experiments going, Matt. :)
By Ronnie
very nice matt!
By Veronis
That's crazy. Do some TC from the flower stalks when you can get to them and see if the new flytraps all do the same.
By MichaelG
I'd want one that flowers after only a few months!
By kittyklaws
That is pretty darn amazing! :D
By Daniel_G
if u ever get any spare ones you know where to come :D
By jht-union
Really this is amazing, i bet the traits are heterozygous recessive for the female part of the plant(forgot the term sorry), since you self-pollinated, and the offsprings flower early just like the parent(the two that flower early), so the pollen must be heterozygous recessive as well since some of the offsprings didn't flower early like their parents. That means that 25% would flower early, which is what happened when just the two VFT's flower, 50% would carry the trait, they are carriers of the trait, they might flower early, or not, but when they pass it to their next offspring, their offsprings would either carry the trait, or flower early like their grandfather trait, and the other 25% would be heterozygous dominant that means that they would not carry the trait, and would be like any regular VFT, but this things can vary depending of what plant you use with really strong traits.
this is amazing, keep us updated matt!!=)
By Oblivion
they obviously love the conditions they are provided
By dmagnan
jht-union wrote:Really this is amazing, i bet the traits are heterozygous recessive for the female part of the plant(forgot the term sorry), since you self-pollinated, and the offsprings flower early just like the parent(the two that flower early), so the pollen must be heterozygous recessive as well since some of the offsprings didn't flower early like their parents. That means that 25% would flower early, which is what happened when just the two VFT's flower, 50% would carry the trait, they are carriers of the trait, they might flower early, or not, but when they pass it to their next offspring, their offsprings would either carry the trait, or flower early like their grandfather trait, and the other 25% would be heterozygous dominant that means that they would not carry the trait, and would be like any regular VFT, but this things can vary depending of what plant you use with really strong traits.
I think you may have your terms mixed up a little bit. By definition a heterozygote contains two different alleles of a gene, and a homozygote has two copies of the same allele. If the homozygotes have different phenotypes, the dominant trait is defined as the one observed in a heterozygote. So, all heterozygotes are "heterozygous dominant". You mean to hypothesize that the mutation is recessive, and the wild type copy of the gene is dominant. In this case a heterozygote (both a mutant and a normal copy of the gene) will be normal, but if you breed two heterozygotes, then 1/4 of the progeny will be homozygous mutant and flower early. If if it is a recessive mutation though, then when you self-pollinate a heterozygous mutant, all of the offspring will be mutant, because the plant only has mutant copies of the gene to pass on to its offspring.
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!