FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By TS 1989

I thought it was still putting out carnivorous leaves so I placed a few blood worms and a dead ant on it. It doesn't seem to be secreting anything so, is it dormant?
By Grey
The plant looks like it's displaying carnivorous leaves, although one of the newer ones in the image looks like it could be the start of succulent growth. How much light is it getting and what is your watering schedule like? :)
By TS 1989
Grey wrote:The plant looks like it's displaying carnivorous leaves, although one of the newer ones in the image looks like it could be the start of succulent growth. How much light is it getting and what is your watering schedule like? :)
It is getting 5 hours of direct sunlight. As for water, I water till it runs out from the bottom just before the media turns dry.
By Earthy
you might wanna cut back on the watering; your ping might think it's still the growing season because it's getting watered so much. they have to have a simulated "dry period" to trigger the non-carnivorous phase. right now mine get watered every 2 weeks, maybe a few days longer and they are "dormant"...
By TS 1989
Earthy wrote:you might wanna cut back on the watering; your ping might think it's still the growing season because it's getting watered so much. they have to have a simulated "dry period" to trigger the non-carnivorous phase. right now mine get watered every 2 weeks, maybe a few days longer and they are "dormant"...
Does your soil turn bone dry by the end of 2 weeks? Here in the tropics, I've to water my plants almost everyday so it won't dry out...
By Grey
Mexican Pinguicula are quite prone to rot, so watering it every day could do it more harm than good. Thankfully, these plants are highly drought resistant and can last without water for a good long while (I've left mine for months before). Watering once every two to three weeks, even if the soil becomes dry, during the winter dry period is absolutely fine and highly recommended. Watering once a week, two at most, during the growing season should also be sufficient, even if the soil becomes a little dry in-between. :)
By Earthy
TS 1989 wrote: Does your soil turn bone dry by the end of 2 weeks? Here in the tropics, I've to water my plants almost everyday so it won't dry out...
I have mine in an all-mineral mix with a layer of LFS in the bottom to act as a reservoir. the sand stays pretty moist except right up at the top. I mainly go by weight when it comes to watering mine...
By TS 1989
Thanks! I'll be sure to add a layer of sphagnum moss on top. :)
By Earthy
TS 1989 wrote:Thanks! I'll be sure to add a layer of sphagnum moss on top. :)
no...it's in the bottom of the pot under the all-mineral mix. if yours is in peat/perlite it's not wise to add more LFS to the top lol...
Earthy liked this

You can also buy the Gubler's LFSM at Lowe's, on[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!