FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Lovebrug
Hi John here,

I've been growing Nepenthes (low land) types for a few years and have decided to dive more into the hobby and add VFT's to the obsession. As a reef tank and seahorse hobbyist for sure have a good RODI unit so pure water is no problem . My delima is where would be the best place to grow my soon to arrive VFT's . Considering my pool patio area (full sun) that has a screened enclosure and from my understanding regular window screen blocks about 10% of sunlight so that may be a good thing here in NE Florida with Summer temps that can be in the upper 90's ? My other concern is that there is no way I can do the tray method with the downpours we get here , must VFT's stand in water ? Humidity is no problem as my house backs up to natural wetlands and then the Saint Johns river (it's wet here) . Sorry for all the questions . I'm guessing without the the tray method I will need to water in the summer days without rain two or more times a day ?

John
By Matt
Lovebrug wrote:Considering my pool patio area (full sun) that has a screened enclosure and from my understanding regular window screen blocks about 10% of sunlight so that may be a good thing here in NE Florida with Summer temps that can be in the upper 90's ?
Yeah, the shade cloth will probably be a good thing with that intense heat.
Lovebrug wrote:My other concern is that there is no way I can do the tray method with the downpours we get here , must VFT's stand in water ?
No. In fact, they do better if they're not left standing in water all the time.
Lovebrug wrote:I'm guessing without the the tray method I will need to water in the summer days without rain two or more times a day ?
Almost certainly not unless you're using very small pots. If you're using larger pots, you'll probably only need to water once every few days, especially with that Florida humidity to help keep them from drying out so quickly.
By Grey
Hello and welcome to our wonderful community! Sea horses?! Good grief! I'm rather jelous, I must say. I absolutely love sea horses. Matt's got your questions covered, just wanted to welcome you :).
By Lovebrug
Thank you for the welcome and reassurance. My first VFT arrived today " King Henry " Very healthy plant very pleased.

Grey here's PIC's of some of my fry ( now all adults) and off to new homes.
P1010648.JPG
P1010648.JPG (211.82 KiB) Viewed 3568 times
By Grey
Lovebrug wrote:Thank you for the welcome and reassurance. My first VFT arrived today " King Henry " Very healthy plant very pleased.

Grey here's PIC's of some of my fry ( now all adults) and off to new homes...
Oh wow! They are so beautiful!! One day... ONE DAY! Hah. Thank you for the photos :).
By Lovebrug
Back to VFT's ;)

I've orderd a few from different venders what get's me is each seller has instructions on how to grow them and they don't meld.

Joel sent me a very healthy plant but if I plant it in a net pot with only Long fiber moss it will die here (outside) in my zone. I understand he is placating window growers and have no problem with that.
Another grower is sending me fertilizer yes I said the F word with my order and well this grower knows what he is doing and I realy could care less as I'm getting true clones.
I've decided since I live in zone 9a and want to put my plants outside to do 50 peat 50 silica sand mix and I hope it works.
It did look nice after it was mixed. If a 50/50 mix is not good please tell me as it's not to late to remix or repot.
Also I'm becoming suspicious of bugbiting plants . com they Charged my CC the minute the order was done and NO nada nothing sent back as in a YES you ordered from us type thing. They do not pick up their phone and see a problem with this company in the future. Live and learn.

John
By Lovebrug
Grey wrote:
Lovebrug wrote:Thank you for the welcome and reassurance. My first VFT arrived today " King Henry " Very healthy plant very pleased.

Grey here's PIC's of some of my fry ( now all adults) and off to new homes...
Oh wow! They are so beautiful!! One day... ONE DAY! Hah. Thank you for the photos :).
Here's what they start off as and it's a trip to raise them.
Attachments:
P1010674.JPG
P1010674.JPG (182.17 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
Lovebrug, Lovebrug liked this
By pieguy452
Wow, those seahorses look awesome! And welcome to flytrapcare :)

You can also buy the Gubler's LFSM at Lowe's, only[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!