FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By luxiloid
Here is an update of B52 and Big Mouth. They were all baby plants. These were really tiny when I potted them but now they have more than doubled in the trap size in two months. Also, they did not look good until recently but now they are pretty enough to be taken picture of.
I usually prefer planting just one plant in a pot but now I think planting so many together in a pot has its own beauty too.
I recently found that with certain levels of aeration, sterility, nutrition and pH of the soil, the flytraps can grow so fast. After about 6~10 traps of similar size, the flytrap starts to put out larger and larger traps each time. However, above 4 conditions are not easy to sustain and only lasts less than 4 weeks (with my current skill level) unless they are tissue cultured. The first issue I encounter in every 4 weeks is weighed balance of soil bacteria to the dark side and I need to repot them.
Baby B52
Baby B52
B52.jpg (120.39 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
Baby Big Mouth
Baby Big Mouth
Big_Mouth.jpg (131.37 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
Below is the picture of five A2 plants that I pictured on 17th February.
A2 - 17th Feb
A2 - 17th Feb
20120217_205519a.jpg (106.52 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
Below is how the pot looks like on 5th March. Two plants are missing because I gave them to my friend in exchange to a Bohemian Garnet and a Wacky Traps. :D
You will notice that one plant started putting out a very large sized trap compared to the existing ones.
A2 - 5th March
A2 - 5th March
20120305_202237a.jpg (108.21 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
luxiloid liked this
By Matt
They're looking great luxiloid! Great growing!

By the way, I have your other TC order about ready to go too. Unfortunately I lost Dutch Delight in TC, so I had to substitute something else for those two cultures. I'll send Dutch Delight to you when I get it back in TC. But I think you'll very much enjoy the two surprise plants that I'm sending as a substitute for the Dutch Delight :) The order should ship early next week. Get excited!
Matt liked this
By luxiloid
Matt wrote:Unfortunately I lost Dutch Delight in TC
Oh sorry for what happened. Hope you are not stressed out due to the lost.
Matt wrote:But I think you'll very much enjoy the two surprise plants that I'm sending as a substitute for the Dutch Delight :) The order should ship early next week. Get excited!
Always thank you for substitutes. Your substitutes make me happier than the ones that I chose from the store myself. :D
luxiloid liked this
By Matt
luxiloid wrote:Oh sorry for what happened. Hope you are not stressed out due to the lost.
It was a bit disappointing, but I can always restart the culture since the Dutch Delight plants I have in the greenhouse will start growing very soon :)
luxiloid wrote:Always thank you for substitutes. Your substitutes make me happier than the ones that I chose from the store myself.
Great :)
By Devon
Woah, I didn't realize you get so many plants from one tube. Or.. Are those tubes or flasks? q:

They look really good!
By Matt
devon wrote:Woah, I didn't realize you get so many plants from one tube. Or.. Are those tubes or flasks?
Those are mostly tubes. There was one flask of Big Mouth in luxiloid's order. The rest were tubes. I usually can cram 4 or 5 pieces of tissue into the tubes, which could turn out to be 4 or 5 plants or perhaps as many as 10 or more plants depending on how long they grow out before they're shipped and how they are divided when deflasked.
By Devon
Matt wrote:
devon wrote:Woah, I didn't realize you get so many plants from one tube. Or.. Are those tubes or flasks?
Those are mostly tubes. There was one flask of Big Mouth in luxiloid's order. The rest were tubes. I usually can cram 4 or 5 pieces of tissue into the tubes, which could turn out to be 4 or 5 plants or perhaps as many as 10 or more plants depending on how long they grow out before they're shipped and how they are divided when deflasked.
Thanks. I can hardly wait for them!
By luxiloid
devon wrote:Woah, I didn't realize you get so many plants from one tube. Or.. Are those tubes or flasks? q:

They look really good!
Hi devon,
Matt gave me so many plants with even just one tube. If plants are not yet big, 10~20 can go into one tube. If the largest one is about half of a inch in trap size, about 5 can go into one tube. The rest 4 are usually smaller than the largest one.
I only have space to grow 40 pots in my setup so I am having happy days thinking about where to put the rest of plants. I ordered just one flask for big Mouth and it was really amazing. If you see a giant cube of about more than 300 flytrap individuals tangled together, I think most of people will scream (with shock but excited with joy). I spent more than three hours dividing the small traps and potting them. On that night when I went to bed, my arms, legs and waist were aching but you know what? My face was smiling with happiness. :lol:
By Matt
luxiloid wrote:If you see a giant cube of about more than 300 flytrap individuals tangled together, I think most of people will scream (with shock but excited with joy). I spent more than three hours dividing the small traps and potting them. On that night when I went to bed, my arms, legs and waist were aching but you know what? My face was smiling with happiness.
Hah! Yes, there is usually a TON of plants in a flask. I don't think people realize just how many there are in there. It does take a lot of time to deflask them, clean them off and get them potted. We spend the majority of our time at the flytrap store deflasking, potting and repotting. But it definitely brings a smile of happiness to your face, as luxiloid said, to see all of those plants potted out :)
By luxiloid
The largest trap size of my biggest A2 has reached one inch!
About two traps are deformed due to miss use of an enzyme called Manda Koso. It is a Japanese product that gives amazing growth boost in most of plants but for flytraps, only the new root becomes thicker and traps become deformed when it is sprayed on the upper parts. I now try to give them only into the soil.
A2
A2
A2.jpg (104.42 KiB) Viewed 3970 times
Here is my biggest Green Dragon sitting in just one pot. The largest trap is a bit more than half an inch.
Green Dragon
Green Dragon
green_dragon.jpg (81.94 KiB) Viewed 3970 times
Here is Trichterfalle. I made mistake and did not follow Matt's recommendation when I first received it to plant right away. After few days it was contaminated but now they are coming back to life again.
Trichterfalle
Trichterfalle
trichterfalle.jpg (149.97 KiB) Viewed 3970 times
By jaester
luxiloid wrote: ..Here is Trichterfalle. I made mistake and did not follow Matt's recommendation when I first received it to plant right away. After few days it was contaminated but now they are coming back to life again.
That's the most Trichterfalle I've ever seen in one shot. They'll be wicked once they settle in!
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!