FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By samlikesplants
This is just an idea I just thought of. I realize the deterrent for most potential cobra lily growers and the reason they are famed as being hard to grow is that they require cool roots. Well in the wild, cobras typically live in streams with water flowing over them (I'm lucky enough to have actually seen them in the wild.) So I was thinking about a way to replicate that, and I know some growers who have ponds in their backyards and place them in there, or others who place them in a cooler with refrigerated water. I don't have a pond and the cooler system doesn't appeal to me. The idea I had was to take one of those pet fountains, meant for your cat or dog to drink from, which has constant flowing water and can have ice cubes or refrigerated water put it, and place the cobras in there. When I was 11 I killed a cobra, but hopefully I can convince my dad to drive me to California Carnivores soon so I can grab another and try again but with my idea. I'd love to here any thoughts or any ways you all grow them or have seen cobras grown.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostor ... t-fountain#
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostor ... n-for-cats
These fountains are actually fairly cheap as well.
By Rammplins
Are you planning on growing indoor or outside?

I use the raft method for growing my my sarrs and sphagnum. I keep this in full sun.
(Raft is made from Styrofoam and a cloth to wick up water, toothpicks to hold the boarders on)
(Raft is made from Styrofoam and a cloth to wick up water, toothpicks to hold the boarders on)
image00.png (7.23 KiB) Viewed 4591 times

I also have an empty bucket the same size filled with water that stays in the shade so it is cool, I then just have 2 water pumps I got for 8$ on amazon pump water from one to the other. water stays cool and it is constantly running, so it keeps it aerated and it is harder for algae to grow. Plus cleaning it is super easy, remove the raft. wipe of gunk from side/bottom, dump water if needed. In total I think it cost around 30$
Rammplins liked this
By slinx
You don't need flowing water at all, they grow just fine in the same conditions as Sarracenia. Not one plant in the world likes hot roots. Darlingtonia being difficult to grow is just a myth. The pet fountain could make for an interesting decorative piece, but you don't need it if you just want to have some Darlingtonia.
slinx liked this
By Rammplins
I know I don't need flowing water. I just like to make sure the water stays cool on those 90 degree days, without me putting in ice or messing with it.
Rammplins liked this
By samlikesplants
That raft idea is awesome. I'm getting a large plastic tub and a floating pot soon.
samlikesplants liked this
By Rammplins
Thanks! You dont need a floating pot though, you can get almost any pot to float with a ring of styrofoam. For my sphagnum raft i just used an old styrofoam cooler and cut the sides off. Then when i got my purpurpea i just cut a hole in the middle for it to rest in

My raft (purp was a rescue, needed a little shade from the sun)

I'll take some better pics when I get home

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
By Branmuffin
Rammplins wrote:I know I don't need flowing water. I just like to make sure the water stays cool on those 90 degree days, without me putting in ice or messing with it.
I highly suggest you try growing without these special conditions if you are not already. Darlingtonia is a surprisingly hardy and adapatable plant. I had dreams last season of adding fountains for my cobras also but never got around to it. I top water my cobras daily into a standing tray of water and that's it. This is only their 2nd season but are doing well, and it anywhere from 95-108f in the summer here.
By camsdad66
Hi Branmuffin,
May I ask what is your general location? And can you post some pics of your plants and growing conditions? I too am growing a couple Cobras in the deep South (Louisiana). They are surviving their first season with me, but I wouldn't say thriving. Would appreciate any advice. Here's a couple recent photos. They actually look a little worse than this now, tops of pitchers (even some new ones) are getting brown and drying up. They only get morning direct sun for maybe 2-4 hours. I water them with outside temp collected rainwater.
Thanks! ImageImage

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
By camsdad66
By the way, Samlikesplants, didn't mean to hijack the thread, just thinking we can all benefit from some good info on these challenging but very cool plants! My apologies if I stepped on any toes!

By samlikesplants
Haha you are completely fine camsdad. Thanks for all the advice everyone.
By SundewWolf
If I had to chose I would stick with my solar powered pump set up. They are easy enough to buy on ebay. It only runs when necessary (when direct sun is hitting the plant), you can move it around without being restricted to plugs, and fall-spring it is just a stand alone pot with no running water. I see two small divisions starting.
By camsdad66
Sundewwolf, how hot does it get where you live? And do the night temps drop sharply?

By camsdad66
Thanks. And your Cobras do ok in those conditions, with recirculating pumps, eh?

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!