FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By J_Max
Posts:  16
Joined:  Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:08 pm
#12861
I know, its weird but it's completely functional. The design is mine and it came about from the materials I already had available. Haven't put the hepa filter in yet.
Attachments:
lfh22.jpg
lfh22.jpg (33.95 KiB) Viewed 12771 times
lfh12.jpg
lfh12.jpg (31.6 KiB) Viewed 12771 times
User avatar
By Matt
Location: 
Posts:  21388
Joined:  Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:28 pm
#12862
WOW! :o That's awesome and it looks relatively inexpensive to make. I really like it. I can tell you definitely have some ingenuity!

What did you end up using for the HEPA filter and where did you get it?
By J_Max
Posts:  16
Joined:  Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:08 pm
#12866
Matt wrote:WOW! :o That's awesome and it looks relatively inexpensive to make. I really like it. I can tell you definitely have some ingenuity!

What did you end up using for the HEPA filter and where did you get it?
Well, the HEPA filter I bought from Menard's. I don't know if you have them where you are but it's similar to Lowe's or Home Depot. The brand is HEPAtech and its a replacement for an air purifier. It says it catches particles 99.97% effectively @ 0.1 microns. Cost $20-$25! I thought most HEPA filters were expensive and where rated @ 0.3 microns?

And the cost wasn't bad, pretty sure it was well under $200. The blower was the most, the rest is heating/AC supplies and sheet metal, under $70 for that stuff.
By renesis
Location: 
Posts:  374
Joined:  Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:37 pm
#12867
Wow, very creative! Awesome to see some more people joining in on TC lately!

The only thing you have to be careful about on the HEPAs is what air speed they are rated (and tested at). If you put more air speed through it than what it was designed and tested for, the efficiency might go down.

Is the hood on top the pre-filter?
By J_Max
Posts:  16
Joined:  Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:08 pm
#12872
renesis wrote:Wow, very creative! Awesome to see some more people joining in on TC lately!

The only thing you have to be careful about on the HEPAs is what air speed they are rated (and tested at). If you put more air speed through it than what it was designed and tested for, the efficiency might go down.

Is the hood on top the pre-filter?
Thanks a lot! :D I took into consideration what you mentioned about the rating and air speed for the filter. The blower is a monster of an air mover so I constricted the airflow @ the output to 3in then transitioned to 6in. Thus, less speed and pressure. Just enough to go through the filter and purge the work area, assuming that the problem would be with too much air going through it. Hope it works out!

And, yes the top is the pre-filter box. -Max
User avatar
By WORMSS
Location: 
Posts:  652
Joined:  Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:17 am
#12883
Matt wrote:it looks relatively inexpensive
Another way of saying "Cheap"??
lol

Squeezing the pipe to slow the air would just put more Strain on the air pump wouldn't it???

could always do something like a Y shape, one 1 half have the air filtered, the other half have a valve.. so some of the air being pushed is allowed to escape and so slows the air going through the filter???
By J_Max
Posts:  16
Joined:  Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:08 pm
#12891
WORMSS wrote:
Squeezing the pipe to slow the air would just put more Strain on the air pump wouldn't it???

could always do something like a Y shape, one 1 half have the air filtered, the other half have a valve.. so some of the air being pushed is allowed to escape and so slows the air going through the filter???
Yes, applying constriction on any duct using a blower(not a flat blade fan) will cause the motor to reduce RPMs. But, the blower I'm using is designed for furnace exhaust and is pretty tough. I can get away with about 5/10 of static pressure bogging it down and it won't hurt it a bit. The reason I can't have a relief valve is because although the cfm's would be the same, the static pressure wouldn't be and the pressure is what moves the air through the filter. Not cfm's. With constriction, you 1. reduce rpm's of the motor 2. thus reducing the cfm output of the blower and then pressure:) :)

Thanks for the input tho
By renesis
Location: 
Posts:  374
Joined:  Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:37 pm
#12892
WORMSS wrote:
Matt wrote:it looks relatively inexpensive
Another way of saying "Cheap"??
lol

Squeezing the pipe to slow the air would just put more Strain on the air pump wouldn't it???

could always do something like a Y shape, one 1 half have the air filtered, the other half have a valve.. so some of the air being pushed is allowed to escape and so slows the air going through the filter???
I had a similar problem when constructing mine, but the correct way to do it is by constricting the inlet. Having a relief valve between the HEPA and blower may cause some turbulence. Restricting the inlet works fine as long as the motor has enough air to cool itself. Especially with the motor exposed, he should be fine with that setup.
By jkochuni
Location: 
Posts:  582
Joined:  Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:19 pm
#12897
Wow, that is like the Frankenstein of flow hoods! Well done!

Do you put the pot and all in the zip lock bag? Ho[…]

Mature FTS Flaming Lips

It's a plastic pot that came with the plant from F[…]

Sticky plant thread

I've watched a video where someone got it to strik[…]

Nepenthes hamata AW2 female

260 plus shipping https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.c[…]

Is this a pest?

check out this thread as well https://www.flytrapc[…]

Help ID my Nepenthes

Definitely Miranda! Sent from my SM-G960U using T[…]

seeds received, thx.

OMG!!!!!!

Good job!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!