FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Jack Hoo
Hello, Growers!

I need help with my last two Venus flytraps,. I started this year with four, and I'm down to two, even losty beloved Cleopatra which turned three this year.

I live in South Florida, zone 11a, and I had my plants outside planted them in plastic pots in a medium of peat moss, perlite, and sand. It all started well, but si also added a thin layer of LFSM on the potsnñ to protect the traps from our rain (keep the peat and perlite out of the traps). But unfortunately I think the LFSM held too much water and ended up rotting them. Ever since I removed the LFSM.

But now, summer is coming and it's incredibly hot here. We are in the mid 80's and it can easily go up to mid 90's at noon, and it will get even worse in July and August.

How hot it's too hot for Venus Flytraps? Should I try moving them inside and get a grow light instead?
IMG-20240528-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20240528-WA0007.jpg (223 KiB) Viewed 934 times
rn_image_picker_lib_temp_aed3fa3b-7d16-4a5d-a496-c7a6d7cf4c91.jpg
rn_image_picker_lib_temp_aed3fa3b-7d16-4a5d-a496-c7a6d7cf4c91.jpg (4.18 MiB) Viewed 934 times
By Jack Hoo
I doubt it's the case, but can a por be TOO BIG? Because last year I had Cleopatra in a small por and she weathered the storm well (though it wasn't as hot) this year I tried bigger pots.

Only other thing that's different is the medium, but I bought one on Amazon specific for flytraps, and I rinsed it with distilled water.
By bigred
I'm in Orlando. On my porch I get some early sun until noon, and then I get like an hour or two before sunset. Mine are grown in 100% pure spaghnum (can find at home depot). I always water from the top (usually daily). Just a little bit (like 3-4 cap full of water cap top per plant). I usually collect rainwater and store in a gatorade bottle as to not need to keep buying distilled water. I've even had plenty of times watering with my water which I believe was 90 TDS when I had no distilled. My plants are also below the pot rim (and bigger plants), so the sun is blocked from the ground to heat it up. Not sure if that will matter much. I think the worst thing you can do is bottom tray water them. If that is what you are doing try only from top. I don't keep mine all that wet.

I've grown with lights indoors in a fish tank with success also, but FL is perfect for them. I leave them out in the winter for easy dormancy. Zero issues.
Jack Hoo liked this
By Jack Hoo
andynorth wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:30 pm Which medium did you get from Amazon? There are a couple that have proven to be very bad for CP's.
I bought this one
Attachments:
Screenshot_20240529-114752.png
Screenshot_20240529-114752.png (1.18 MiB) Viewed 878 times
By Jack Hoo
bigred wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:37 pm I'm in Orlando. On my porch I get some early sun until noon, and then I get like an hour or two before sunset. Mine are grown in 100% pure spaghnum (can find at home depot). I always water from the top (usually daily). Just a little bit (like 3-4 cap full of water cap top per plant). I usually collect rainwater and store in a gatorade bottle as to not need to keep buying distilled water. I've even had plenty of times watering with my water which I believe was 90 TDS when I had no distilled. My plants are also below the pot rim (and bigger plants), so the sun is blocked from the ground to heat it up. Not sure if that will matter much. I think the worst thing you can do is bottom tray water them. If that is what you are doing try only from top. I don't keep mine all that wet.

I've grown with lights indoors in a fish tank with success also, but FL is perfect for them. I leave them out in the winter for easy dormancy. Zero issues.
First of all, sorry for the dislike. Clicked it by accident when trying to respond.

I do water them from the bottom with distilled water, as that's what I have read in all care guides to be the best to prevent root rot, but I am using a mix of peat and perlite, maybe it's different if you use LFSM (more experienced growers, please chime in).
By ChefDean
Jack Hoo wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 4:04 pmsorry for the dislike. Clicked it by accident when trying to respond.
Then click on it again to remove it.
By Jack Hoo
I tried, system said I can't like/dislike so often. Will try again
By andynorth
Jack Hoo wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:48 pm
andynorth wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:30 pm Which medium did you get from Amazon? There are a couple that have proven to be very bad for CP's.
I bought this one
That may very well be your culprit. Several users, including myself have lost or had plants seriously decline after using this product. Change your medium and I bet that solves your issue.
wcrosman liked this
By cpgrower126
Just head to Lowe’s and pick up BetterGrow LFSM or Gubler’s LFSM. I have had flytraps in this media that have done perfectly fine.
andynorth liked this
By Jack Hoo
andynorth wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:28 pm
I bought this one
That may very well be your culprit. Several users, including myself have lost or had plants seriously decline after using this product. Change your medium and I bet that solves your issue.
No way, could it really be? I bought the one that had the highest rating thinking it was the best.

Is there any other you recommend? If so I will change that as soon as I get home.

Btw, is the premier sphagnum moss sold in home depot ok for vft's?
By wcrosman
I bought this one
Thats the bad stuff. Just about killed my sundews before I figured it out.
By andynorth
Jack Hoo wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:42 pm
andynorth wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:28 pm

I bought this one
No way, could it really be? I bought the one that had the highest rating thinking it was the best.

Is there any other you recommend? If so I will change that as soon as I get home.

Btw, is the premier sphagnum moss sold in home depot ok for vft's?
If you wait a few days I am sure there are others that will chime in and say the same thing about that mix (one just did). Many people mix up their own. I understand this is at times not possible due to storage concerns but if you have the room, buy peat, LFSM, sand and/or perlite. Different people use different formulas. There are several guides available to do this. I use straight LFSM for my VFT's. I was using 50:50 peat and lfsm for my other CP's then switched and added sand so it's about 40:40:20. I stopped using perlite due to it turning green and molding on me since I live in a high humidity environment. I stopped buying premixed soil after learning my lesson with the Perfect Plants mix.
I have never used the moss from Home Depot. I use Better Gro either Orchid or plain LFSM and have always had good luck with it. The plain version is available on Amazon and the plain and Orchid versions are available at Lowes. Whichever route you go be sure to rinse and re rinse ALL of your media. Once it is mixed and rinsed, take a PPM reading by top watering until water comes out the bottom using a TDS meter. Ideally you want it under 50 but some have said 100 and under is suitable. Hope this helps.
By Jack Hoo
It certainly does. Thanks a lot! This is the first year I buy this mix (and LAST!)before that I also mixed my own (did about 60:40 peat and perlite), but I thought that a product that was supposedly tailored for carnivore plants specifically would yield better results. Going to leave them a heavy negative review on Amazon and will change the medium in my plants ASAP.
By Jack Hoo
Thanks to all that chimed in. Now I know that the Perfect Plants mix is basically poison for our beloved plants (shame on them).

I repotted all the plants I had (and my sister's too) in LFSM because that's what I had at hand. It's the BetterGro, I got it from Lowe's, and I rinsed it on distilled water. Now it's just praying these guys can bounce back.

Even the smallest one which I thought was dead still has some green and white in the Rhymezone, so there is some hope. Do you think he can recover?
20240530_001946.jpg
20240530_001946.jpg (3.55 MiB) Viewed 747 times
20240529_223402.jpg
20240529_223402.jpg (4.17 MiB) Viewed 747 times

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Thanks all. The only place I didn’t think […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!