FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
I love seeing everyone's photos and photo dumps of their plants, but these large files are killing me. With today's phones, a 5 to 7 meg file is typical but for me are difficult to download. Especially if there are multiple files that size. If you could resize them down to 1 meg or so, it would be greatly appreciated.

This is nothing official, just a request from someone who lives in the sticks with mediocre internet.
wcrosman, Intheswamp liked this
By optique
the ones hosted on the forums take time to load. Imgur is instant for me.
By Intheswamp
Thank you for posting this, Panman. I’ve been wanting to post basically the same thing for quiet a while.

My situation is the lowest speed DSL connection available…the only connection available at our location. Basically on a good day we hit 2Mbps which hits our router and is further sliced and diced. The big grants to get highspeed internet connection to rural areas is a lie for me…somebody’s getting rich, though. Cell service?….we’re happy when we get a single solid bar.

The large size photos and multiples of them bog my system down terribly. To the point of it not being worth it to me to wait for a long download to complete…so most of the time I don’t look at photo dumps. And when I see the two or three images that are in the multiple megabyte range I don’t hang around very long, either I try to limit images I post below 1Mb and usually less than 500k.

Thanks for posting, Panman. Good post.
By Intheswamp
optique wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:49 pm the ones hosted on the forums take time to load. Imgur is instant for me.
Welcome to my world...
Intheswamp_inet_speed.jpg
Intheswamp_inet_speed.jpg (72.07 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
By Intheswamp
I've discussed this before, but at the risk of being redundant...

optique, you're image in the message above is just sitting there with the little orange balls moving. It shows no image name, file size, nor how many times it was viewed. If I hover my arrow pointer over the balls a magnifying glass appears but is non-working. If I slowly and carefully move the arrow pointer around the outside of the dark box that contains the magnifying glass I can find a sweet spot that causes the arrow pointer to turn into a finger pointer. I can then click and an image appears. When I close the image the little balls are back. Interestingly, everybody's images in the thread are acting the same way.

As for a large group of photos posted in a single thread, it seems that everyone of them have to be downloaded before an individual one can be viewed. So when you've got ten photos of 5mb+ that can create a traffic jam.

Even as I get to the end of this message...the orange balls are still dancing. Oh, and I had to walk off from the computer for a few minutes being as I got interrupted by a couple of Jehovah Witnesses. ;)
By Intheswamp
Interestingly, I just grabbed my archaic iPhone 6sPlus and logged onto this thread. The images in this thread have *no problem* loading up on my phone. This would be AT&T cell service versus Centurystink/Bright(DIM)speed DSL service. The orange balls are still going at it on the computer. :|
By optique
I understand, i had to deal with 24.4b modem speeds back in the day. took all day to download a CD off napster =p
By Intheswamp
You never enjoyed 1200? I brought "the Internet" into our rural county back in the early 1990's. Used USRobotics modems from the sysop program that USR offered back then. Downloaded messages and files via a satellite downlink and uploaded messages via dial-up. Ah, those were the days.....NOT!!! First PC I ever bought was $2400....it had (upgraded) 4mb of RAM, a 65meg RLL hard drive, and a 512k video card...it also sported both 3.5" and 5.25" disk drives. I think it actually came with a 2400baud modem in it, too!!! :lol: A *real* bargain for such a smokin' machine!!!! :mrgreen:
By sans
optique wrote:OK just for you guys...
it looks like a Nintendo picture of flowers to me :lol:
By Panman
Intheswamp wrote:Welcome to my world...
That's where I used to be. I had 1.5 up and .1 down.
optique wrote:I understand, i had to deal with 24.4b modem speeds back in the day. took all day to download a CD off napster =p
The first modem I ever used was 110 baud. No K, no M, baud. I used it for terminal access to a mainframe. Of course, there were no digital images back then. Just text.
Intheswamp liked this
By optique
my 1st pc was "Packard Bell 486 DX2 66mhz" with a 2.4b modem, but my copper phone lines were so bad i could not connect above 24.4b even when faster modems came out.
By Panman
optique wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:49 pm the ones hosted on the forums take time to load. Imgur is instant for me.
I am sure that the server is using compression on they pictures. That is why it takes a while to upload them (compression) and download (decompression). The photo dump that triggered this line of thought uploaded 180 MB of pictures in one thread. That is a lot of data to be stored ad infinitum on the server in its raw format.

Most cameras (and phones) have resolution above 8 megapixels. On a computer display, or phone for that matter, you aren't going to be able to make use of a resolution much beyond 1 or 2.
By Intheswamp
Ok, the main highlight of the old computer....it was a 386DX20...I upgraded from the SX version ;) . Oh, and it came with DOS 3.1. I upgraded to DOS 5.0 or 6.0...can't remember. But, once Gates killed off Dos I had to upgrade to Windows....3.1??? I think???? Smokin'!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!