FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
kronos1996 wrote:I'm guessing after y'all's last attempt to expand the business ended the way it did it probably won't be happening again anytime soon? A real shame, nobody can match your selection of cultivars.
We don't have any plans of expanding. We're pretty happy with where we are right now and I feel like we're nearing market saturation for our marketing methods. If we were to expand, we might sell a few select plants on other websites (off of FlytrapStore.com), just to tap other markets, but we're so busy as it is, I can't see us really delving into that.
By kronos1996
Matt wrote:
kronos1996 wrote:I'm guessing after y'all's last attempt to expand the business ended the way it did it probably won't be happening again anytime soon? A real shame, nobody can match your selection of cultivars.
We don't have any plans of expanding. We're pretty happy with where we are right now and I feel like we're nearing market saturation for our marketing methods. If we were to expand, we might sell a few select plants on other websites (off of FlytrapStore.com), just to tap other markets, but we're so busy as it is, I can't see us really delving into that.
Yeah I figured y'all have plenty of work to do, I was more curious if you planned on partnering with other people who have their own TC labs so that you could expand business without causing you and Leah anymore stress.

Eventually y'all will have to retire or something and I'd just feel safer with some quality business partners lined up to replace you, but I'm sure that's way off in the future. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Mufasa
kronos1996 wrote: Eventually y'all will have to retire or something and I'd just feel safer with some quality business partners lined up to replace you, but I'm sure that's way off in the future. ;)
m8, they are still young, bit rude to say "you'll have to retire one day" when that day could very well be 40 years from now
By kronos1996
Mufasa wrote:
kronos1996 wrote: Eventually y'all will have to retire or something and I'd just feel safer with some quality business partners lined up to replace you, but I'm sure that's way off in the future. ;)
m8, they are still young, bit rude to say "you'll have to retire one day" when that day could very well be 40 years from now
Just thinking ahead is all, no offense is intended.

By Matt
kronos1996 wrote:Yeah I figured y'all have plenty of work to do, I was more curious if you planned on partnering with other people who have their own TC labs so that you could expand business without causing you and Leah anymore stress.
While we do 99% of our own propagation, we have, on occasion, bought a few plants here and there from other sources. I do all of the TC work myself, but do have some friends and family who occasionally grow plants to a decently large size for us and then send them back (in exchange for payment). Then we grow them out and ready them for sale.
Mufasa wrote:Eventually y'all will have to retire or something and I'd just feel safer with some quality business partners lined up to replace you, but I'm sure that's way off in the future.
Hah, yes, for sure! But that is a ways off :)
Mufasa wrote:m8, they are still young, bit rude to say "you'll have to retire one day" when that day could very well be 40 years from now
I didn't think of it as rude, just honest. No offense taken :)

And yes, it is something that might happen one day, but it is very, very far off. Hopefully we can pass the torch to someone when that day comes, assuming the store model is still viable.
Matt liked this
By kronos1996
Matt wrote:
kronos1996 wrote:Yeah I figured y'all have plenty of work to do, I was more curious if you planned on partnering with other people who have their own TC labs so that you could expand business without causing you and Leah anymore stress.
While we do 99% of our own propagation, we have, on occasion, bought a few plants here and there from other sources. I do all of the TC work myself, but do have some friends and family who occasionally grow plants to a decently large size for us and then send them back (in exchange for payment). Then we grow them out and ready them for sale.
Mufasa wrote:Eventually y'all will have to retire or something and I'd just feel safer with some quality business partners lined up to replace you, but I'm sure that's way off in the future.
Hah, yes, for sure! But that is a ways off :)
Mufasa wrote:m8, they are still young, bit rude to say "you'll have to retire one day" when that day could very well be 40 years from now
I didn't think of it as rude, just honest. No offense taken :)

And yes, it is something that might happen one day, but it is very, very far off. Hopefully we can pass the torch to someone when that day comes, assuming the store model is still viable.
I hope so too! Assuming I don't kill myself in some stupid way before then... In that case hopefully one of my fourteen nephews or nieces will enjoy my collection. Image

kronos1996 liked this
By Matt
In 2013, we at FlytrapStore made an offering of "Dracula" for the first time. At the time, it was our understanding that there was only one clone with the name "Dracula" and it originated with Trev Cox. After offering the plant for about 6 months, we discovered through conversations with Trev Cox that the variety we were selling as "Dracula" was not his plant but rather sourced from a person in Poland. At that time, we changed the name to "Polish Dracula" and sourced the authentic "Dracula" from Trev. We promised to offer a free "Trev's Dracula" to anyone who purchased "Dracula" from us with the understanding it was Trev's clone when it was not. We're finally able to officially make this offer!

If you purchased a "Dracula" plant from us between March and August, 2013, please send us an email at sales@flytrapcare.com and we'll get a free authentic "Trev's Dracula" shipped out to you!
Matt, Matt liked this
By Kirkauburn
Matt wrote:In 2013, we at FlytrapStore made an offering of "Dracula" for the first time. At the time, it was our understanding that there was only one clone with the name "Dracula" and it originated with Trev Cox. After offering the plant for about 6 months, we discovered through conversations with Trev Cox that the variety we were selling as "Dracula" was not his plant but rather sourced from a person in Poland. At that time, we changed the name to "Polish Dracula" and sourced the authentic "Dracula" from Trev. We promised to offer a free "Trev's Dracula" to anyone who purchased "Dracula" from us with the understanding it was Trev's clone when it was not. We're finally able to officially make this offer!

If you purchased a "Dracula" plant from us between March and August, 2013, please send us an email at sales@flytrapcare.com and we'll get a free authentic "Trev's Dracula" shipped out to you!
This is the type of exemplary customer service that is the reason I love coming to FTS. Keep up the good work Matt!
Kirkauburn liked this

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!