FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By thatguymike
Posts:  52
Joined:  Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:47 pm
#197071
this is my first out of dormant with my vfts so please help a noob out. ive read that i can wait for the stalk to flower, die, and get seed and plant it but this would take away energy from the vft. so do i just cut it off or try to get seed out of the stalk? the others have baby ones growing right now from the picture and another with a shorter stalk. do i leave everything alone or should i start splitting them up now or wait..

advise would be really great

thanks,
mike
long stalk with babies on its way
long stalk with babies on its way
photo 1.JPG (43.77 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
short stalk with babies
short stalk with babies
photo 2.JPG (48 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
more babies
more babies
photo 3.JPG (64.2 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
from left <br />b52, dcxl (no babies), b52, b52
from left
b52, dcxl (no babies), b52, b52

photo 4.JPG (59.71 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
Last edited by thatguymike on Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thatguymike liked this
User avatar
By Matt
Location: 
Posts:  21119
Joined:  Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:28 pm
#197075
thatguymike wrote:so do i just cut it off or try to get seed out of the stalk?
It's really up to you. If you want seeds, let them flower and pollinate the flowers. If you want larger, healthier plants that divide more, cut the flower stalks when they're about an inch tall. The flower stalk on that B52 is pretty large already, so you might want to go ahead and let it flower. All of your plants look extremely well cared for and healthy, so letting them flower would likely be fine. They would be set back about a month in terms of growth, but if you're growing season is long, it likely won't matter in the grand scheme of things.
Matt liked this
User avatar
By PiranhaPlanter
Posts:  262
Joined:  Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:08 am
#197080
Your plants are beautiful! Please keep posting, because of this thread I am now learning my options of when flowering season comes thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Eric
Posts:  1143
Joined:  Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:23 am
#197084
At this point it seems a bit late to cut the flower stalk. Wonderful looking plants by the way, they should be able to handle the stress of flowering with little to no problems.

Good luck
Eric liked this
By thatguymike
Posts:  52
Joined:  Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:47 pm
#197114
PiranhaPlanter wrote:Your plants are beautiful! Please keep posting, because of this thread I am now learning my options of when flowering season comes thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i will try to update this thread on the flowering..
PiranhaPlanter wrote:Hey mike do you by chance live in canada?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i live in california where its always sunny
By Goodkoalie
Posts:  1452
Joined:  Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:48 am
#197150
thatguymike wrote:
PiranhaPlanter wrote:Your plants are beautiful! Please keep posting, because of this thread I am now learning my options of when flowering season comes thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i will try to update this thread on the flowering..
PiranhaPlanter wrote:Hey mike do you by chance live in canada?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i live in california where its always sunny
Almost always, which part of ca? Right know it is rainy and bit sunny in sacromento


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
By thatguymike
Posts:  52
Joined:  Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:47 pm
#197263
Goodkoalie wrote: Almost always, which part of ca? Right know it is rainy and bit sunny in sacromento


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
im in los angeles. it was raining last week here but cloudy and sunny this week and next.
By thatguymike
Posts:  52
Joined:  Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:47 pm
#197502
KissMegan wrote:What kind of flytraps are those? They look very happy and healthy :) make sure they don't fall!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
3 of them are b52 and 1 is dc xl. i did drop it once :? but they were fine :D
thatguymike liked this
Need help identifying!

It's a really pretty VFT, but it's a typical. It w[…]

Drosera Binata Giant recovery Help

Where in India? India is massive... If you're in a[…]

How many plants in a container bog?

Plus, in 3-5 years' time, you're gonna wanna repot[…]

The best Long Fibered Sphagnum Moss

Any sphag is good if you bake it - I even reuse it[…]

Pygmy sundew giveaway

I think she did bring florentine a carnivorous pla[…]

Freshly adopted/rescued friends!

Welcome! I don't acclimate VFT's as well, and I l[…]

Heliamphora

Yes. I keep very finicky ones (like parva and Unci[…]

Do I change out old fluid in pitchers?

Worse, if you fill them, sometimes they can flop o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!