FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By ontariotraps
I see there's different opinions on this subject !! Who do I believe ? What do I do ? I'm not really using the pot, I'll be using the tray just to have water sit in it on hot days but I do know if there are bad chemicals they will leach in even using just the tray. Can anyone help me ? Please !
By Robster_24
pretty much every thing that i hear about pots is not to use clay or terracotta pots ever! with the exception of Drosophylum, bog carnivorous plants are recommended to be grown in plastic or glazed pots. i have never used clay pots with sars or fly traps but i heard its a bad idea. hope i could help!
By mnwatson1
ontariotraps wrote:I see there's different opinions on this subject !! Who do I believe ? What do I do ? I'm not really using the pot, I'll be using the tray just to have water sit in it on hot days but I do know if there are bad chemicals they will leach in even using just the tray. Can anyone help me ? Please !
I've always heard to avoid clay/Terra cotta pots completely unless: 1) they're sealed, or 2) they're glazed. Otherwise they're extremely porous, and not only can they wick water away from your media, but also leech minerals into it over time. Sealing the pot or getting a glazed one (with no chips or cracks!) closes these pores and eliminates the problem.

I've also read a bit about fully fired clay pots, but it's been mixed opinions, and I'll personally avoid them just to be safe.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
By cdelavan
Yes from what I understand clay pots are not to be used since they are porous and tend to leach minerals & salts into your CP soil over time. If they are glazed then they should be fine since that process creates a protective seal over the clay. The best choice would be to use plastic pots since they're safe and usually much cheaper.
By Drone232
My flytraps had been living in a unglazed teraa cotta pot for two months. Brown liquid and white dust have been appearing over the entire surface of the pot which I believe were salt residue and leached minerals and there was algae everywhere. I cant find anyplace nearby that sells good plastic pots so I cut a 2 liter soda bottle in half, took all the sphagnum out of the pot and washed with distiiled in a colender, and placed it all in the bottle with my vft, s. Theres less room for them now but the bottle is deeper, the sides are see through, and there is no mineral leaching.
By mnwatson1
Drone232 wrote:My flytraps had been living in a unglazed teraa cotta pot for two months. Brown liquid and white dust have been appearing over the entire surface of the pot which I believe were salt residue and leached minerals and there was algae everywhere. I cant find anyplace nearby that sells good plastic pots so I cut a 2 liter soda bottle in half, took all the sphagnum out of the pot and washed with distiiled in a colender, and placed it all in the bottle with my vft, s. Theres less room for them now but the bottle is deeper, the sides are see through, and there is no mineral leaching.
Just be careful, as the transparent sides in the sun can heat up your soil/growing medium and ultimately kill the plant.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Cultivar: Fractal Teeth

Just putting a 'bump' on this post so it doesn't g[…]

Boy this is hard work

It's been almost a year since I've really interact[…]

Kinetin va BAP

Can Kinetin be an adequate substitution for BAP in[…]

As long as you've used it I would imagine your wat[…]

is this normal for a d capensis?

While what is said above is true, I have a mini bo[…]

My newest addition I just ordered from Matt. T[…]

What recommendations do you have for types of li[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!