FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By jono
Hi all

I live in the UK and recently got my first venus flytrap. After reading alot of information in here, it seems the plant is a 'typical', I am not sure what it is growing in at the moment.

Some parts of the plant seem healthy, but I have noticed a few black specks appearing - any ideas what they could be?

There is one trap that is totally black, it was like this when I got the plant - shall I leave it or cut it off?

The plant was outside, getting a few hours of sun each day, however the temperatures have now dropped to 7-12 degrees (C) so i have position it on a window sill that gets some direct sunlight in the afternoon - Is this enough?

Is my container big enough? maybe hard to see from the photos, but it is around 4" tall - Ive read alot about re-potting into a bigger container - Would it be wise to do this now? Or wait till spring?

I am currently watering around twice a week, keeping the medium quite moist and using only rain water - collected in a plastic bottle - is this okay?

Thanks
By Matt
Your plant looks very healthy. I don't think you have anything to worry about at all. The completely black leaf can be cut off if you'd like, but leaving it won't do any harm either.

Your watering routine sounds fine, but your plant could definitely benefit from being repotted into a larger container and by getting more sun. I'd also recommend leaving it outside even in the cooler temperatures.

Good luck!
By jono
Thanks for your help, Matt. I will sort out a new pot, about 8 inches tall, would that be OK?

What about potting medium. I'm not sure what it is in at the moment, and would like to keep it the same so the plant is not disturbed too much.

Also, would you recommended re-potting now, or wait till spring?
thanks again.
By Matt
jono wrote:Thanks for your help, Matt. I will sort out a new pot, about 8 inches tall, would that be OK?
Yes an 8 inch deep pot would be great!
jono wrote:What about potting medium. I'm not sure what it is in at the moment, and would like to keep it the same so the plant is not disturbed too much.
Looks like it is potted in pure peat right now. You could use a mix of peat and perlite, as most growers do, and simply take the "plug" that the plant is potted in and put it in the new pot without removing the soil from the rhizome and roots. That would minimally disturb the plant.
jono wrote:Also, would you recommended re-potting now, or wait till spring?
I'd go ahead and repot now. The pot it is currently in is so small, I'd worry about root rot or dehydration during the winter. It's hard to keep a pot that small "just moist" because it tends to dry out quickly and then it must be soaked again when watering.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!