FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By GothicJackalPaws
Heyyo,

I'm Jackal and a resident of NC (native home of flytraps, yay) and I've had Venus Flytraps for several years. I'm currently 17. I bought my first set of VFTs about four almost five years ago, along with a pitcher plant, and up until recently, they were doing just fine. And then squirrels discovered that not only could they tear up the stones I'd placed around the traps and tightly packed in the pot, but peat moss makes really good digging soil. So they started mauling my traps, and I have little to no hope of saving them. :( They literally yanked them out of the ground and... probably carried most of them off and dumped them somewhere.

Mom won't let me make a heat-and-shape guided squirrel shooter.

I then asked if she would prefer a laser.

No dice.

So after five years of raising beautiful traps, I'm starting over. The Fallen Soldiers are at my mom's house. I'm starting over at my dad's with the Reinforcements of the Army, who fortunately has a kind of courtyard that seems to discourage squirrels from visiting (and has way too many bugs!) so I bought five VFTs (four from Whole Foods, one from Southern States) and got two more pitcher plants in addition to my first two Sundews. I've never owned Sundews before, but I've read about them, and they're pretty fascinating. :D And I've still got room to spare in the pot I got for them, in case I come back with something else from Duke Gardens during their Spring Sale. Fingers crossed.

Here we go:

Note: I've been using tap water. I know it's a rule of thumb-- don't use tap water-- but it turns out that the tap water in this area is 80ppm or under with regards to the minerals and stuff it might have in it. I'm fairly sure it needs to be under 100ppm, and so far, it's worked for the last 5 years, so I expect it will keep working now. That's actually rather convenient!
By plantman1001
Welcome !
it turns out that the tap water in this area is 80ppm or under with regards to the minerals and stuff it might have in it. I'm fairly sure it needs to be under 100ppm
I would be careful about the water, it should be about 50ppm.
By GothicJackalPaws
plantman1001 wrote:Welcome !
it turns out that the tap water in this area is 80ppm or under with regards to the minerals and stuff it might have in it. I'm fairly sure it needs to be under 100ppm
I would be careful about the water, it should be about 50ppm.
I tried, believe me, but my parents aren't willing to buy a rain barrel or stock up on a supply of deer park water. I'm hoping that when the fountain next to where the traps are gets running again in the summer, I'll be able to test the ppm and see if it's any lower compared to the water. So far, the tap water served my previous traps for five years, so I'm hopeful it'll do well here too.

I have to say, though, I'd always used straight-up peat moss, and I'm thinking of getting some perlite/sand to mix in. Problem is, I'm not sure how to mix it in. Should I uproot the traps and get some sand blended in around the roots for max aeration?
By GothicJackalPaws
pieguy452 wrote:Sorry to hear about the loss of your flytraps, but it is great that you have decided to continue on :)

Welcome to flytrapcare!
I'm hoping to use some of the tips on here to recover what little is left of my originals that I can. D:

This is what the remains look like. I'm going to see if I can find something salvageable. The squirrels really did a number on it. Any suggestions on where to start that pop out immediately given their condition? I was thinking of trying the Rhi's...

You can also buy the Gubler's LFSM at Lowe's, on[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!