FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
I have a Viparspectra v1000 in my grow area, about 14" over the surfaces of most of the pots. Does anyone happen to know roughly what intensity I should have it on? I'm growing a variety of mostly-seedling flytraps, some assorted sundew seedlings, a few pygmy sundews, a couple of small sarracenia, and some nepenthes seedlings at the very edge of the light radius.
Currently it's at something like 30% intensity (difficult to tell, as it's adjusted by a knob I can't see very well), and I know I can figure out the setting by slowly increasing it until it starts to be a bit bright, but I figured I would ask if anyone here can save me potentially a few months of tinkering.
By andynorth
I have a Mars Hydro and 2 Vivosun 200W lights. They all put off a bit of heat so I adjust mine based on how hot and whether my plants start getting burned. The Mars Hydro runs about 60% and the Vivosun's about 45%. Unless someone has the exact light and plants you have it might be difficult to figure out the proper setting. Myself, I started out with a low setting and moved up a little each day. It took about a week to get to the optimal temp/light without overheating or burning everything.
By Dan V
Is your "grow area" lined with reflective material or open air?

Viparspectra provides a PPFD map for all of their lights set at 100% in a reflective walled grow tent, so I would recommend using it as a guide. At the 16 inch height you could really just work your way up to at least 75 to 85% light intensity without fear for the flytraps, I don't know about the rest of your plants, see the guide below. I would also recommend a circulation fan.

PPFD Levels for Carnivorous Plant Genera
https://www.carnivero.com/pages/grow-li ... mendations

Genus PPFD Lower Range (μmol/s/m²) PPFD Upper Range (μmol/s/m²)
Nepenthes 30 200
Utricularia (epiphytic) 30 200
Pinguicula 30 200
Cephalotus 45 300
Darlingtonia* 75 400
Heliamphora 100 400
Sarracenia (low growing) 100 400
Dionaea 100 400
Utricularia (temperate)* 100 400
Drosera 100 500+
Sarracenia (upright)** 200 500+
Drosophyllum* 150 500+
andynorth liked this
By Intheswamp
This is a good read about light requirements of carnivorous plants. It has a chart of DLIs included for carnivorous plants. I'm not sure of it's accuracy, but I feel it is pretty close: https://curiousplant.com/light-carnivor ... ts-part-2/

The article also includes some calculators, one of which will allow you to insert your own PPFD number and hours of light to come up with the resulting DLI. I've found it to be rather helpful. Lots of good reading and info included.

One thing you might want to do is to download the Photone app for your cellphone. It is a fairly good light meter but you'll have to pay six or seven dollars for the add-on for your specific light "type"...most LED add-ons are not free. You make a diffuser out of white paper to wrap around the camera selfie lens...envelope material seems to work good as it is a little thicker than normal 20# paper. The add-ons for CMH, Incandescent, and Halogen lights are free. But, it is good to see the actual difference raising and lowering a light makes or dimming or brightening lights make. A handy tool for figuring things out. Good for comparing lights to each other and showing the difference between the light a plant receives in the center or out at the edge of the light, too!

Anyhow, I hope some of this helps. Take care.
Dan V, andynorth liked this
By Intheswamp
Andy, go to the Photone support page and scroll all the way to the bottom. There is a "contact" button that will bring up an email address to the support crew. I would think that they'd love to hear about your situation...you can't possibly be the only person with the type of phone that you're using and making sure it works with all phones is probably important to them $-wise. ;)

Well of course, since that are generally how we pr[…]

Sowing 5+ year old seed

Did anything ever grow?

Cape sundew stem

Don't hesitate, ChefDean is correct. I snipped t[…]

Venus flytraps in the greenhouse

Are Venus flytraps good plants for the greenhouse?[…]

BCP group order

I think I will pass for now. Thanks for offering!

Venus Flytrap

As to spider mites, are you 100% sure? Because t[…]

rrrt's Grow List

I'm always looking. PM me a list of what you have […]

If you've germinated Sarracenia seeds before, Darl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!