FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By zoliky
Hello, I moved my Venus flytraps outdoors in full morning sun. Where I live the midday sun it too harsh, sometimes over 104F and I can't check the pots/water because I'm not home during the day.
In the morning the sun is okay, but the plants only get about 2 hours and half - 3 hours of full morning sun, then shade for the rest of the day.
I'm not sure if this will be enough for VFTs. I would be grateful for any suggestions.
By Smooter80
I would say more than 2-3 hours would be needed. Just have them sit in water during the Summer. Your temps sound close to what mine deal with. They will be fine as long as they don't dry out. Last year I watered maybe every other day and I didn't tray water. This year I'm planing on tray watering a lot more unless algae becomes an issue.
Smooter80 liked this
By zoliky
Okay, I moved them. Now they receive about seven hours of sun per day. Yesterday it was about 98F. I didn't notice any burns on the foliage however I kept them well watered. When temps will go above 104F I will probably use a shading cloth.
By xr280xr
I built a little frame out of wood that I can stretch a shade screen over top of. It's slightly arched and tall enough that it only shades during the middle of the day. Maybe something like that would work.

My grandpa used to have little shapes covered in foil set up on on posts in his garden. I thought they were just decoration as a kid but now that I'm older, I think they were probably reflectors for plants that needed a little more light.
xr280xr liked this
By fyrelocks
xr280xr wrote:My grandpa used to have little shapes covered in foil set up on on posts in his garden. I thought they were just decoration as a kid but now that I'm older, I think they were probably reflectors for plants that needed a little more light.
Interesting. I never thought of that. Off to google and research. It might help my limited sun for my VFT. Thanks!
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!