FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By goth horror
hey guys, i'm a new blogger here. I just recently bought a Venus fly trap for the very first time, and after.. a few mistakes, I finally got him into some good sturdy soil (more precisely, pure unenriched peat moss) until the good VFT plotting mix will come in.
the only thing is.. Mars looks really ill.
he wilted entirely.
he was so healthy and now.. I feel so bad. i'm scared he's going to die.
I read up a lot about how to take care of them on here, i'm just so scared I messed up so badly there's no saving Mars.
i'm really hoping he's just in shock.
here's what happened:

I accidentally planted him in normal soil (harmful to CP)
I rushed to my local hardware store and got some good moss, ran back home, and took Mars out of what he was currently in and replotted him gingerly in a new, deep, large pot with the moss.
but then he wilted.
he didn't eat
now all of his leaves are wilted and some turned brown (so I trimmed them off)
if somebody can please help me or tell me anything, it would mean everything.
please. Mars is already really important to me and I feel awful putting him through so much.
thank you in advance
By riveraXVX
give it a couple good flushes from the top dump the water that drains through.

what type of water are you using? what type of container? what brand is the new moss? how long have you had it/where from? where do you keep it. what are the temperatures like currently where you live if outdoors/
By goth horror
riveraXVX wrote:give it a couple good flushes from the top dump the water that drains through.

what type of water are you using? what type of container? what brand is the new moss? how long have you had it/where from? where do you keep it. what are the temperatures like currently where you live if outdoors/
crap! I totally forgot to add that. i'm sorry.
-Distilled water
-not a container, a pot, as I read that could be better.
-not miracle GRO!, Black Gold
-i've had him only a few days/I actually don't know where he's from, I picked him up at a local nursery
-I keep Mars outdoors when the weather is suitable
-the temperatures range from 45-80 where I live (California)
By Fieldofscreams
What ive learned is to not get too attached to your first, very likely you will mess up and kill it anyways. But when you buy another one you will be lightyears ahead in your knowledge and wont kill it.

Im still struggling with my firsts, i think they will make it though, they just look horrid right now.
By goth horror
Fieldofscreams wrote:When i first got them, typicals from a nursery and B52's from Joel.

A week later.....
oh no!!! that's what Mars looks like! :(
By KategoricalKarnivore
If you can post a picture of the plant that would help immensely.
By goth horror
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:If you can post a picture of the plant that would help immensely.

hey I was just about to do that actually! i'm really new and seem to be having some issues posting images.. i'm sorry
By goth horror
here, I just took this photo. I hope this helps ):
Attachments:
I just took this picture of Mars
I just took this picture of Mars
image.jpeg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 4260 times
By Fieldofscreams
In my case i think i did a few things wrong/semi wrong.

1. When i made the hole in the soil i don't think i pressed down and around enough leaving a cavity just below the surface so the roots weren't touching the soil.

2. I placed them right out into the sun without any hardening off period. This isn't necessarily bad to do but what it will do is kill off the existing traps but new traps will grow in their place.

3. Combined with 1 and 2 there was some transplant/environment shock.

Im sure yours will bounce back just like mine will.

How bout some pics? I use Imgur, very easy.
By Fieldofscreams
goth horror wrote:here, I just took this photo. I hope this helps ):

I see a problem right off the bat.

The soil is FAR to dry. You need to have it in a pot with holes in the bottom and the pot sitting in a tray with distilled/rain water or RO water.

The soil needs to be moist but not wet at all times, this is an experience thing that you learn over time.
By goth horror
Fieldofscreams wrote:
goth horror wrote:here, I just took this photo. I hope this helps ):

I see a problem right off the bat.

The soil is FAR to dry. You need to have it in a pot with holes in the bottom and the pot sitting in a try with distilled/rain water or RO water.

The soil needs to be moist but not wet at all times, this is an experience thing that you learn over time.

you see the top is dry, but underneath the very first top layer is all moist. i've checked multiple times today. :)
By goth horror
Fieldofscreams wrote:In my case i think i did a few things wrong/semi wrong.

1. When i made the hole in the soil i don't think i pressed down and around enough leaving a cavity just below the surface so the roots weren't touching the soil.

2. I placed them right out into the sun without any hardening off period. This isn't necessarily bad to do but what it will do is kill off the existing traps but new traps will grow in their place.

3. Combined with 1 and 2 there was some transplant/environment shock.

Im sure yours will bounce back just like mine will.

How bout some pics? I use Imgur, very easy.
excuse me what do you mean by pushing down around a hole- the first one. can you explain a little further?
By Fieldofscreams
The top should look and feel moist, it needs more water.

Its hard to explain what i mean by having a "cavity" just below the surface. I made a hole with my finger, guided the roots down into the hole and pressed the soil down and around the rizhome but i dont think i did it enough to fill in the entire hole below the surface.
By goth horror
Fieldofscreams wrote:The top should look and feel moist, it needs more water.

Its hard to explain what i mean by having a "cavity" just below the surface. I made a hole with my finger, guided the roots down into the hole and pressed the soil down and around the rizhome but i dont think i did it enough to fill in the entire hole below the surface.

gotcha! I understand. I just sprayed the top layer and now all of it is moist

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!