FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By quatchi
What does everyone do with their spare soil mix? I just let mine sit in an ice cream bucket, about 4 Litres in size. Whenever I have to pot or repot, I just use this soil, and add more peat/sand/perlite as I think is necessary based on the plant I have. So if it's a standard mix for VFT's, and I have a ceph/ping I want to repot, I'll throw in some more sand or perlite to let it drain better, and then I have a ping mix. It's not perfect, but this wasn't my great idea...yet.

This was my SUPER GREAT IDEA!!!! It's not actually that great, but I'll take as much credit for it as I can :) . Anyways, I kept seeing my ice cream bucket with spare soil in it, and kept thinking, "What a waste of space." That was until the other day when I threw my leftover spaghnum moss in there, and it took off like crazy. I realized the bucket has the perfect conditions to propogate plants. So now instead of sitting in the garage sitting idly, it's going to sit outside with a variety of leaf cuttings and whatever, and given enough time, they're sure to catch! I realize it's not as efficient as TC, but it's a cheap and stress free way to increase your number of plants. Plus, you can toss in a bunch of different types of cuttings and save space until they need to be repotted.

So toss that leftover soil into a clearish container, and toss in some leaf cuttings, and go crazy!
quatchi liked this
By HarrisAz
yes good.a good idea of urs for using left over medium for propagation.good good!!thanks
By Hayden
Nice idea, I keep mine in a mop bucket without the bit you squeeze the mop in! I put some water in the bottom, and add more every month so that it remains moist etc. I also keep cling film on top. Im hoping that nothing will need to be re-potted of mine for the rest of this growing season. But when ive done ill certainly try it out!

Remember that its a good idea to wash peat thats been used on another plants, dunk to remove any bugs and minerals.
What's Up

The owner of this forum and our gracious overseer […]

bog garden

Alright, $20 is gonna be hard to work with, but he[…]

Should I just leave them be?

I have these Bohemian Garnet's and a yet to be id'[…]

U. bisquamata

Wow!

Fused Tooth Extreme

Nice!

Phyllodia or deformed pitcher

All right, now I'm placing bets whether it's going[…]

My Ginormous pot

I would be also willing to buy some. I have flytra[…]

Those could be a variety of things from a disease,[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!