FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
First, Is there an easy way to determine if a species of Sundew requires dormancy or not? I have been buying and trading and I now have quite a collection of Sundews going. So is there a simple way to know or do I just need to look each one up?
Since we are rapidly approaching their dormancy period and most of my plants are newly potted, would it be best for me to just keep them in my greenhouse with my Neps for this winter and worry about dormancy next year? I will have flightless fruit flies on hand to feed them over the winter months. That would give me time to figure out which ones need dormancy.
I am not able to complete my pond any time soon and I may end up just making a bog next Spring. The problem being I would have to come up with a good drainage system as our Oct-June rainy season would end up rotting most roots away.
By Shadowtski
Some Drosera species requiring (usually) cold dormancy:

D. rotundifolia
D. intermedia (except varieties from tropical areas)
D. anglica
D capillaris
D. filiformis
D. linearis
D. hybrida
D. binata T-Form

Many marginally subtropical Drosera species look at dormancy with a take it or leave it attitude.
My Capes and King Sundews usually die back a little in Winter but it's darn cold in my basement.
If in doubt, find out where your Drosera originally came from, if they have Winter temps below 32, then that plant needs dormancy.
wcrosman, Intheswamp liked this
By andynorth
Thank you. That is a huge help. When you say cold, how cold do you mean? My garage gets cool enough that it keeps soda cold most times. I have no windows to open so trying that to get it cooler is out.
By Shadowtski
andynorth wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:38 pm When you say cold, how cold do you mean?
My basement drops into the 40s over Winter.
Basement plants are under lights that are synced to local sunrise and sunset.
The reduced photoperiod coupled with the lower temperatures seem to provide adequate dormancy conditions for my temperate carnivores for many years.

My temperate stuff spends its Springs, Summers, and Autumns, outdoors in my back yard.
They stay outside until after the first frost happens.
Then the move down to the basement until next Spring.

It works for me... but YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

:)
andynorth liked this
By Intheswamp
I had some filiformis that went into dormancy last year...they let me know they were going dormant by kind of looking like they were dying but the hibernacula looked healthy. I had them in an unheated part of the trailer and though they never froze but stayed in the mid-40's to 50's. I watered them sparingly. They sat on a shelf with a windows 7-8 feet away...low trailer ceiling so it was kind of dark in there. They woke up this spring like they knew what they were doing. :D I guess this was for probably a one or two year old plant. The leaf-cuttings that I started the latter part of August last year grew through the winter under lights. It seems that the first year that sundews and flytraps, maybe others, can skip the first dormancy with no ill effects. I'd imagine they'll be fine in the greenhouse if they're young plants. The older folks might need more rest. ;)
andynorth liked this
By Huntsmanshorn
Shadowtski wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:51 pm My basement drops into the 40s over Winter.
Basement plants are under lights that are synced to local sunrise and sunset.
The reduced photoperiod coupled with the lower temperatures seem to provide adequate dormancy conditions for my temperate carnivores for many years.
Even your linearis? I've read they need sub freezing temps. These guys cause me no end of trouble, I can not seem to get them dialed in, and I have been trying for years.

Thanks! Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Black tips on drosera regia

It's probably nothing, as the whole plant seems to[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome to the forum!

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

My 'Mimis Kiss' is finally growing pitchers again[…]

Hello , I can help with the Drosera if you are sti[…]

First flower stalk on VFT

I might let the biggest flower stalk flower but c[…]

I repotted some of the vft's from the flower stal[…]

Is this a steal?

The first one is a Nepenthes x 'Ventrata' like Pan[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!