FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Gry
I'm looking to buy a sundew soon, not sure which one yet, but I'm curious as to how I should care for it. any help please? water? lighting? temperature? basically everything.
By Gry
hollyhock wrote:Here is some helpful information depending on which sundew you select you can find it here and everything it needs...Good growing :D
http://www.growsundews.com/
oh goodness thank you, that's a great page!
By Tarzanus
As much light as possible, distilled or rain water and temperatures around 25°C would be optimal. Relative humidity is usually not an issue, especially if they have enough light.
Tarzanus liked this
By Gry
Tarzanus wrote:As much light as possible, distilled or rain water and temperatures around 25°C would be optimal. Relative humidity is usually not an issue, especially if they have enough light.
so, basically, direct sunlight, like VFT's? so what about if it's too hot here, like 35 and above Celsius? around here the humidity pretty much sucks too, (15 percent)
By TS 1989
Gry wrote:
Tarzanus wrote:As much light as possible, distilled or rain water and temperatures around 25°C would be optimal. Relative humidity is usually not an issue, especially if they have enough light.
so, basically, direct sunlight, like VFT's? so what about if it's too hot here, like 35 and above Celsius? around here the humidity pretty much sucks too, (15 percent)
Here in my place, the temperature goes up to 38C but with average humidity (60%~80%). Try making a humidity tray.

They turn red under intense light and do OK in partial sun. I have this pot of seedling that receives only 1 hour of direct sunlight and they are still doing good.
By Tarzanus
I guess 15% RH is a bit low, but you could try growing them in full sun. If you place them into large tray filled with water, they might do just fine.

I already wrote (on my blog and on this forum) about how they grew around here during the summer when temperature went over 36°C. We did however see much higher humidity that rarely drops below 30%. We also have fresh morning temperatures that usually drop below 20°C, which means RH rises considerably during the night and we usually see dew in the evening and in the morning.

Try placing some of them in full sun just to test them and keep the others protected, just in case, if the sun and dry air start killing them. They usually need a couple of weeks to recover when they change growing location. It's perfectly normal for them to look devastated when you bring them outside into new location, they should start recovering in a couple of weeks.
Tarzanus liked this
By Bradari
Mine are all in a windowsill. Doing wonderful they get about 4 hours of sun a day. And I keep them standing in a tray of water . I'd say to start get a capensis they so easy

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
By LuminousAphid
Seconding http://www.growsundews.com/, I read up there after getting my first capensis and I think it helped me take care of subsequent plants a lot better. Funny thing is, my capensis is struggling right now due to heat while others are doing ok, so in my experience capensis definitely like a more temperate climate.

Read, read AND read some more. For me, the more I understand how a plant actually "works" (how it obtains nutrients, how it perspires/uses water, etc) the better I am at growing them. One important note; most sundews intensely dislike buildups of salt, which WILL result from using your tap water- gather rain water if possible, or buy distilled/reverse osmosis water, even if it seems silly- your sundews will thank you with lush growth. I sometimes flush with our tap water because it's normally super soft, but I always final flush with distilled to get any contaminants out

Well, I'm just astonished! I received the seed ord[…]

Hello!

Welcome to the forum!

Water Quality

That's true, but I think zero water pitcher is b[…]

Sarracenia and Drosera for Sale!

Are the Drosera still available?? Are the Droser[…]

What the f-

I think it was a result of pesticides and / or t[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!