FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By nepaholic
Hi Guys
Anyone ever tried to make a sugar stock solution?
Since i use more and more solutions and love to work with it because it is very easy. i want to try to make a sugar stock solution, maybe 1g/ml...

Any tips?
By ahicks51
Normally it's just easier to weigh out the 20 or 30 grams at the time of use.
By nepaholic
Araron yeah you have right. i just think about it...
By ahicks51
I mean, you CAN do it, but make it as concentrated as possible to prevent contamination; store frozen or refrigerated to further discourage growth.

Also note there are big differences in sugars. For example, domestic sugar is probably close to Grade 1 sucrose for tissue culture. We used to use "normal" TC sugar for bananas, and found that some clones would form all sorts of nasty exudates unless we fed them Grade 1 stuff. We had a whole bucket of Grade 1, so it was no big deal- just pricier if/when we had to re-order.

But there's more to it in that different qualities of sugar produce different growth. One study on low-cost tissue culture efforts for developing countries showed considerable differences in growth based on the type of sugar that was employed in banana tissue culture. IIRC, the best was a Cuban brown sugar. Grade 1 from Sigma scored near the bottom of the list.

Sugar is much more complex than meets the eye. While stuff like ammonium nitrate and boric acid are relatively straightforward, ultimately sugars are derived from organic sources, and there will be natural variation in the product. This is one reason why I prefer to purchase as large a batch as is reasonably possible; once I know I'm getting near the bottom, I buy new stuff, and trial it for at least a couple of months before going whole-hog on the switch.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!