FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By velociTraptor
In being new to VFT and these forums, I've been doing as much reading as possible.

I have gathered that a lot of people like to use styrofoam cups to grow their fly traps in.

My question is:

Has anyone tried using those styrofoam coolers that are typically sold over the summer, and used to keep your beverages cool?

I would think that would be a great option to use, if you wanted to grow a large amount of fly traps in one container?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Deftinwolf
It'll only work indoors if you have some method of providing very strong light. Light coming in through a window isn't usually enough.
By cjpflaumer
I have shopped for Styrofoam coolers that are a little smaller than the standard one with no luck. VFT like to have deep pots but in my opinion those coolers seem like a waste of water since they are usually over a foot deep. I live in a drought so this stuff comes to mind haha. (So. Cal.)

The cooler pictured in the linked post is shorter than the average cooler you can get at say walmart or target. That one is actually a better depth.

As far as indoors, you don't really need the Styrofoam if you're trying to grow indoors. The foam is to insulate them from heat but if youre indoors you shouldn't need that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
By velociTraptor
Deftinwolf wrote:It'll only work indoors if you have some method of providing very strong light. Light coming in through a window isn't usually enough.
That makes sense. I'm planning on getting a grow light for my fly trap and hopefully future traps. I saw a few interesting ones online, that I'm going to read up on.
cjpflaumer wrote:I have shopped for Styrofoam coolers that are a little smaller than the standard one with no luck. VFT like to have deep pots but in my opinion those coolers seem like a waste of water since they are usually over a foot deep. I live in a drought so this stuff comes to mind haha. (So. Cal.)

The cooler pictured in the linked post is shorter than the average cooler you can get at say walmart or target. That one is actually a better depth.

As far as indoors, you don't really need the Styrofoam if you're trying to grow indoors. The foam is to insulate them from heat but if youre indoors you shouldn't need that.

Thanks for breaking that down for me, a foot deep does seem like a bit too much. Seeing as I live in CT and can't keep my plant out all year round, I was thinking of some sort of pot to use for both indoor/outdoor use.

Try to keep my VFT outdoors as much as possible and on cooler days, bring it indoors under a grow light. I figured the styrofoam cooler (if I can find a smaller one) would work best for that.

By boarderlib
It's still a feasible option. Find a utility knife and your pot is as deep as you want it to be. It may get a little messy while cutting it, but an air hose and mess cleaned up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By cjpflaumer
velociTraptor wrote: Thanks for breaking that down for me, a foot deep does seem like a bit too much. Seeing as I live in CT and can't keep my plant out all year round, I was thinking of some sort of pot to use for both indoor/outdoor use.

Try to keep my VFT outdoors as much as possible and on cooler days, bring it indoors under a grow light. I figured the styrofoam cooler (if I can find a smaller one) would work best for that.

If you are planning on doing indoors and outdoors this is a great option. It will insulate from cold as well. This would allow you to leave your plants out slightly longer most likely. When you bring it in and out try to keep the temperature swing as small as possible. For example, if its 40 outside don't put it into a 72 degree room. Grow lights are a great option as long as you can keep the temperature down a bit and definitely have the lights match the natural daylight time.

As boarderlib said, you can cut these coolers down of course. It is messy but harmless. If you rub the cut edge some more Styrofoam balls will probably come off. Also drill some holes in the bottom so the excess water can drain out.
By tommyr
velociTraptor wrote:In being new to VFT and these forums, I've been doing as much reading as possible.

I have gathered that a lot of people like to use styrofoam cups to grow their fly traps in.

My question is:

Has anyone tried using those styrofoam coolers that are typically sold over the summer, and used to keep your beverages cool?

I would think that would be a great option to use, if you wanted to grow a large amount of fly traps in one container?

That would work just fine.
By Big-Jack
Give it a coat of plastic primer to prevent UV degradation. That is what I do with my styrofoam cups.
By pieguy452
Yes that container would work great, I've actually considered using it a few times for my plants
By velociTraptor
Thanks everyone for the advice! I'm thinking come next spring I'll try this out and see how it goes. Fall is almost here so I'd like to leave my plant in its pot for now, and come spring make the attempt to repot him.

By Earthy
I plan on trying styro bait buckets for my larger plants (the ones that are starting to poke roots out the bottoms of a 20 oz styro cup lol). I have 2 so I can probably fit 5 or 6 plants in one depending on their size. if that isn't gonna work I have 10 32oz styro cups from Sams Club that I was gonna utilize lol...
By cjpflaumer
Earthy wrote:I plan on trying styro bait buckets for my larger plants (the ones that are starting to poke roots out the bottoms of a 20 oz styro cup lol). I have 2 so I can probably fit 5 or 6 plants in one depending on their size. if that isn't gonna work I have 10 32oz styro cups from Sams Club that I was gonna utilize lol...
I checked walmart a few times for Styrofoam bait bucket but no luck.
I found these that may be worth trying.
Polar Tech 205C Thermo Chill Insulated Carton with Foam Shipper, Small, 6" Length x 5" Width x 6-1/2" Depth (Case of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PB0ZK2/re ... WxbDBE6N7J
Polar Tech 227C Thermo Chill Insulated Carton with Foam Shipper, Medium, 12" Length x 10" Width x 7" Depth (Case of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PB0NM2/re ... WxbXCC1CE5
Little pricey for medium but you do get 2.

By Earthy
yea, I think WalMart stopped carrying the styro ones :( but you should still be able to maybe get some at a local gas station/bait store lol...I also have a cube cooler that a christmas ham was shipped in...
andynorth's Grow/want list

Did anyone else take advantage of Matt's sale last[…]

CalCarn Hitchhiker

I was thinking Intermedia. They have a tendency to[…]

Hey everyone! I'm back on my hunt to look for a d[…]

I sent it in the mail yesterday

It isn't fully sealed, so it shouldn't be digestin[…]

So what would be the signs that I should not be us[…]

...maybe look at trading the VFT for a sundew. M[…]

Input on Neps placement

My traps and sundews do much better once they get[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!