FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By thepitchergrower
Today, I received my SASE from the seed bank. It looked like it went through a lawn mower, and the seeds inside looked partially crushed. Upon closer inspection (using a microscope), the seeds were intact, but the seed coats were damaged. The seeds are from Sarracenia Alabamensis.

My question is:
How should I stratify these seeds? Should I do it with a regular stratification period (6-9 weeks) or should I do it for less time? From my understanding, the longer stratification period is only needed because of the seed coat. :?

Thanks for any help.
By ChefDean
The stratification period is actually a time for the seeds to signal natural gibberellin to synthesize enzymes in order to start processing the starch in the seed via hydrolysis. So, as long as the interior of the seed appears intact, stratify them in a damp paper towel in the fridge for four to eight weeks.
steve booth liked this
By thepitchergrower
I think they do. I've had way too many seed accidents from the post office. Most of them weren't from the seed bank. There was that one day, I open up a seed packet, and all that came out was dust. :shock: (wasn't from the seed bank, lacked ChefDean's taco packaging™)
Unkown sarracenia

To me it looks like it definitely has some rubra[…]

Hello from the California!

Hi everyone, I'm a long-time carnivorous plant ent[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

My very first Mini bog way back from another site.[…]

SASE sent! Order number was included, but I forgot[…]

Thank you Aquis31 and Chef

That sounds amazing thank you! I don’t get m[…]

I was checking my plants before leaving for work[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!