FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Earthy
I noticed tonight that there is a dark purple colored nub starting to grow out of the base of my D. Capensis. Anyone maybe have any insight as to what could be going on? I know my D. Tonkanensis grew a root from towards the top of the plant and it looked to have started like that...hopefully my plant isn't dying...
By roarke
Earthy wrote:I noticed tonight that there is a dark purple colored nub starting to grow out of the base of my D. Capensis. Anyone maybe have any insight as to what could be going on? I know my D. Tonkanensis grew a root from towards the top of the plant and it looked to have started like that...hopefully my plant isn't dying...
Is a flower stalk.
By Earthy
roarke wrote:Is a flower stalk.
I don't think it's a flower stalk; it's coming out of the bottom by where the roots are. I'll post a pic here in a few seconds...
By Earthy
okay, here it is. you can see a dark-colored nub starting to pop out of the reddish area at the base by where the roots are that is normally below the medium (right below the cut-off old leaf where it looks "ripped open" down by the level of the medium) I'm thinking it may be the start of a new root? I've seen some pretty beefy-looking roots pop out on sundews that look like clubs! the plant itself is still putting out leaves, so I don't think it's anything bad, but any input would be appreciated...
By LuminousAphid
Probably a root, but from your pic it's hard to say, I can't really see much but it looks like a root is pushing through the "outer skin" of the 'rhizome' (do sundews have a real rhizome?) to burrow down into the soil. Does it look rotten or feel mushy, or is it firm?

edit; also mine has put out 2 plantlets down at the base of the stalk, so maybe it's reproducing that way. I haven't ever taken my little plantlets off to see if they have their own roots. Sorry in advance for the state of this poor plant, it's been through a lot lately:

By roarke
Earthy wrote:okay, here it is. you can see a dark-colored nub starting to pop out of the reddish area at the base by where the roots are that is normally below the medium (right below the cut-off old leaf where it looks "ripped open" down by the level of the medium) I'm thinking it may be the start of a new root? I've seen some pretty beefy-looking roots pop out on sundews that look like clubs! the plant itself is still putting out leaves, so I don't think it's anything bad, but any input would be appreciated...
I understand now. You have a red root for stabilizing the plant.
roarke liked this
By Earthy
roarke wrote: I understand now. You have a red root for stabilizing the plant.
is that what it's doing? growing a main root? I figured that probably was what it is; it's not mushy but firm. cause like I said it's main root system was looking kinda weak...I noticed the plant was sitting a teeny bit off-center, and then I saw it lol...good to know it's nothing bad :)
By Tarzanus
Aye, that's healthy new young pink colored root. They usually don't mind if they get their roots like that exposed to air and continue growing. After a while, the plant looks like it would have a trunk with anchor roots like this on the bottom where the stem meets the soil. :)
By Earthy
Okay cool....didn't know they grew roots that thick lol...like I said my Venusta had 2 roots that were thicker than the plant base itself lol...like 1/8" thick!!! I'll keep an eye on it though ;)

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!