FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Pie_Trap
Hello everyone! Sorry if this is a dumb question, I recently started getting back into growing venus flytraps and I am still new to the ins and outs. I tried doing all the research I could by browsing YouTube, Reddit, and a couple forums. I cannot figure out what is wrong with my flytrap. It looks like something is chomping away at the leaves, but I cannot figure out what exactly is wrong. Is it a bug, does it have a disease, or am I doing something wrong?

I've been using only rain water to water the plant, and recently changed the medium from what it came with to a premix from Amazon. When a new trap grows, it'll grow normally and then start withering away like that. It looks like something is eating it, but the plant stays indoors and I don't see any bugs or mites on it.
20231218_184815.jpg
20231218_184815.jpg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 325 times
20231218_184947.jpg
20231218_184947.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 325 times
I originally bought the plant from Safeway, in those little clear plastic tubes. I kept it in the original pot for a while until it started to die prematurely and get leaf damage, then I changed to a bigger pot with new dirt. I also got a grow light and gave it 8+hrs of light on a timer when I started getting deformed traps and them dying before getting to full size. Now I am getting much bigger baby traps, but I cannot solve this leaf damage.
By ChefDean
It doesn't really appear to be nibbled on, but it looks to be slowly dying due to lack of light, and may be trying to enter dormancy.
VFT's need at least ~ 6 hours of direct, unfiltered sunlight, or strong artificial light to the tune of 12+ hours a day, usually more. Chances are, the light you're using is insufficient. Plus, it's the time of year for them to sleep, but it can't because you're forcing it to stay awake.
Put it somewhere that is dark and cool (a garage that stays above freezing is perfect), and let it sleep until the temps stay above freezing at night in the spring. Then, when winter is over, put it outside where it gets direct sunlight.

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Hey all, a couple of pitchers came up with corkscr[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I'm just dipping my toes into the world of nepenth[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I have two little pots (the ones they came from L[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!