FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By chevyguy8893
SEWinans wrote:Your plants and your photographs are stunning. I wish my plants looked half as healthy as yours! Nicely done!
Thank you! But your plants look amazing as well, I'd have to say they are healthier than mine are. I can only hope my FTS heli looks as good as yours does.
ps3isawesome wrote:your collection is beautiful, thanks for the photos
Thanks!
chevyguy8893 liked this
By katya_dog1
So... That's all you do for your cultures of Sphagnum? How much MaxSea (I assume that's what you use) do you apply and how often?

I'm receiving a quart of red and a quart of green Sphagnum tomorrow, I finally decided to get some more because of the photos of yours. :)
By chevyguy8893
katya_dog1 wrote:So... That's all you do for your cultures of Sphagnum? How much MaxSea (I assume that's what you use) do you apply and how often?

I'm receiving a quart of red and a quart of green Sphagnum tomorrow, I finally decided to get some more because of the photos of yours. :)
Yep, I just keep it simple anymore. I use to stick the moss down into the dried moss some to make sure it did not dry out too quick. Now I am noticing that it does just fine in my conditions laid across the surface as long as the media does not dry out. The MaxSea is diluted at 1/2 tsp per gallon and is sprayed on with a handheld pump mister. I don't really keep track of how much I spray on either, just one thorough pass biweekly.

Awesome, good luck with it! You will enjoy the mound of Sphagnum that forms. Before you know it, it will be in a bunch of your pots as well if you start to run out of space :lol: (I started with the same amount). I'm at the point where I have the top 3" of a 10" net pot for a new Darlingtonia layered with live moss from the start, and that is only with one year of growing since starting out all together. Either way, it looks great and serves some nice purposes :).
chevyguy8893 liked this
By chevyguy8893
ImageSarracenia flava var. ornata x S. leucophylla "hot pink" by Adam B., on Flickr

ImageSarracenia flava var. ornata x S. leucophylla "hot pink" by Adam B., on Flickr

I always find plants popping up in the live Sphagnum, but this time there are plants that I welcome. So far I have some Sarracenia and Drosera seedlings. So, for those that have got live Sphagnum from me, be on the lookout for other plants :lol:.
ImageSarracenia Seedlings by Adam B., on Flickr

ImageSarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa by Adam B., on Flickr

ImageSarracenia rubra ssp. jonesii by Adam B., on Flickr

ImageSarracenia rubra ssp. alabamensis by Adam B., on Flickr

ImageSarracenia rubra ssp. wherryi "Chatom giant" by Adam B., on Flickr

ImageStylidium debile Flowering by Adam B., on Flickr

ImageSarracenia purpurea x O.P. by Adam B., on Flickr

ImageSarracenia 'Leah Wilkerson' by Adam B., on Flickr

Finally, two of the three newer plants.
ImageSarracenia flava var. ornata "black veins" Bulloch Co., GA by Adam B., on Flickr

ImageSarracenia flava var. rubricorpora 'burgundy' x S. flava var rubricorpora "clone L" by Adam B., on Flickr
Last edited by chevyguy8893 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By katya_dog1
Everybody's Leah W. looks better than mine!

Great pictures as usual. :)
By chevyguy8893
katya_dog1 wrote:Everybody's Leah W. looks better than mine!

Great pictures as usual. :)
That is actually the first somewhat normal pitcher, which I am happy to see given the state of the other pitchers. What happened to yours?

Thanks!
By katya_dog1
Oh, it's fine, it just doesn't have the coloration I see in other pictures. It doesn't have enough of the Leucophylla influence with the white on the upper part of the pitchers.

It's doubled in size, though, and more pitchers on the way so we'll see.
katya_dog1 liked this
By Bristol
Man you have a nice CP system going on there, very neat. Your purp.venosa is massive. I'm to get mine that big but its taken quite awhile. How to you get your moss nice an green like that outside. Mine dries up and turns black even placing the tray in the shade...
By chevyguy8893
Bristol wrote:Man you have a nice CP system going on there, very neat. Your purp.venosa is massive. I'm to get mine that big but its taken quite awhile. How to you get your moss nice an green like that outside. Mine dries up and turns black even placing the tray in the shade...
Thanks, Bristol! After I slowly acclimated the Sphagnum to full sun, all I had to do was keep it wet all the time. The moss that was started on dried Sphagnum moss does much better for me than the moss I have on top of peat for whatever reason. In the trays, the water stays slightly below the top of the moss. As for the moss in the pots, it just sits in ~1" of water constantly. On really hot days (i.e. 90F+) the moss has some issues with the tops drying out in the pots, but it picks back up quickly overnight.
Jellybean1 wrote:You have beautiful plants!Once I get more and your up to trading we can someday!
Thank you! Sounds like a plan, I may have some stuff that I could trade in the future :).
By katya_dog1
chevyguy8893 wrote:
Bristol wrote:Man you have a nice CP system going on there, very neat. Your purp.venosa is massive. I'm to get mine that big but its taken quite awhile. How to you get your moss nice an green like that outside. Mine dries up and turns black even placing the tray in the shade...
Thanks, Bristol! After I slowly acclimated the Sphagnum to full sun, all I had to do was keep it wet all the time. The moss that was started on dried Sphagnum moss does much better for me than the moss I have on top of peat for whatever reason. In the trays, the water stays slightly below the top of the moss. As for the moss in the pots, it just sits in ~1" of water constantly. On really hot days (i.e. 90F+) the moss has some issues with the tops drying out in the pots, but it picks back up quickly overnight.
How do you acclimate? I have the exact same problem Bristol does, I can't put the moss out in full sun and am keeping it in dappled shade. I assumed it wouldn't be possible to acclimate it until it was cooler in Fall, do you think it's still possible to start acclimation with days in the lower 90s?

Being in the south, the humidity is quite high but we get days in the upper 90s, sometimes up to 100. At that temperature, do you think I should keep them in shade?
By chevyguy8893
katya_dog1 wrote:
How do you acclimate? I have the exact same problem Bristol does, I can't put the moss out in full sun and am keeping it in dappled shade. I assumed it wouldn't be possible to acclimate it until it was cooler in Fall, do you think it's still possible to start acclimation with days in the lower 90s?

Being in the south, the humidity is quite high but we get days in the upper 90s, sometimes up to 100. At that temperature, do you think I should keep them in shade?
For the trays that I just started in June, I left them in an area that gets about 5-6 hours of direct sunlight (some morning sun, but more late afternoon sun) until it started growing again. Then, when it was growing well, I just moved it into full sun all day and everything has been just fine. When I first started acclimating the trays there were a few days in a row in the 90's, but it has been unseasonably cool otherwise (70-80F, and 50-60F at night). The moss in the pots went out into full sun in the spring without any acclimation on my part.

Since the heat wave we had wasn't for a long period of time, I cannot say if it would acclimate well or not with temps in the 90's. It may be possible, but to be safe I would keep it in the shade unless you have some that you could experiment with.
chevyguy8893 liked this
By chevyguy8893
Also, here are some newer photos of random plants.

ImageSarracenia x "plum" by Adam B., on Flickr

ImageSarracenia flava var. ornata "improved black veins" by Adam B., on Flickr

ImageLowes Dionaea muscipula by Adam B., on Flickr

ImageDrosera intermedia by Adam B., on Flickr

ImageDrosera 'dreamsicle' by Adam B., on Flickr

ImageSarracenia "green monster" by Adam B., on Flickr

New S. leucophylla from Cook's Carnivores that I just got the other day, so I cannot take credit for the beautiful pitchers it currently has.
ImageSarracenia leucophylla by Adam B., on Flickr

ImageStylidium debile by Adam B., on Flickr

ImageSarracenia leucophylla "red and white" x S. leucophylla "avalon beach" by Adam B., on Flickr

ImageBrocchinia reducta Flower by Adam B., on Flickr

ImageSarracenia leucophylla x S. flava "red lip" [MK H88] by Adam B., on Flickr

This is one of the two clones I have of this plant from Mike Wang.
ImageSarracenia flava var. rubricorpora 'burgundy' x S. flava var rubricorpora "clone L" by Adam B., on Flickr

Unkown sarracenia

To me it looks like it definitely has some rubra[…]

Hello from the California!

Hi everyone, I'm a long-time carnivorous plant ent[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

My very first Mini bog way back from another site.[…]

SASE sent! Order number was included, but I forgot[…]

Thank you Aquis31 and Chef

That sounds amazing thank you! I don’t get m[…]

I was checking my plants before leaving for work[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!