FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By tacocat
Can I plant my flytraps in orchid soil with my indoor orchids? There are a lot of gnats in the soil when I water.
By Fishkeeper
What is the soil made of? If it's long-fiber sphagnum and you rinse it thoroughly, it could work. If not, it'll probably kill the plant.

Gnats in the soil often mean that your soil is breaking down and will be bad for all the plants in it.

You should not put your flytrap in the same pot as an orchid. Flytraps need winter dormancy, orchids do not. Also, flytraps should really be outside in full sun, orchids will burn if you do that to them.
By tommyr
For the gnats buy a package of "Mosquito dunks" at the garden center. Put one quarter of one in your watering can. This will kill the larvae in the soil and stop future generations. It is all natural and safe. Use sticky traps and manually kill the adults.
By Sakaaaaa
It really depends. What orchid "soil" is it? If it is sphagnum moss, then thoroughly rinse and then you can use it.

I wouldn't be planting vfts in the same pot as orchids though. Vfts need winter and unless you are growing the US Native species, the orchids will die when the winter hits. Flytraps also need wayyy more lights than most orchids tolerate (unless it is a vanda or something)

If you are really desperate for a CP in orchid soil, Nepenthes, although maybe a few "orchid soils" won't work for any CP at all. Rinse rinse rinse!
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!