FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By Rocko Bonaparte
It'll be a year soon since I started messing around with tissue culture, and so far I still haven't been too successful. Granted, I haven't been pounding away on this nonstop for a year. Still, I'm going through somewhat expensive seeds and materials for something that hasn't worked much at all yet. I was wondering how I might scale this back for doing practice on stuff of little cost or consequence. Say, would it be easy enough to just do beans in something like coconut milk with some kind of cheap agar? I am hoping for something that is generally agreed upon because I don't want to them lose a lot of time practicing a doomed process. That would really crush me.
By MICKEY
carrot seeds would be better there pretty small and you can get a lot for cheap
or better maybe you can find someone to donate some drosera.capensis seeds they produce so many that there like weeds
By Rocko Bonaparte
I will look into carrot seeds. I'd have to figure out what the media would be for it. My problem isn't necessarily sterilization. The seeds just never do anything. I'm on a new set of seeds from a new source and still nothing.
By Rocko Bonaparte
I can post another thread about it in awhile if this next round fails too. I just don't want to post it again here because it gets tedious. Generally I'll post my whole process and the thread will be pretty dead, but if I complain about just X or Y then I will get an answer. For the last effort I had done, I think the media was too firm. This time I have made a looser medium--to the point of maybe being too soft. After a few days the seeds began to sink down into the media. These seeds may no longer be viable after this second round so if they don't germinate, I am not as worried necessarily.

The next thing actually is worrying about stratification. I had been using a 250ppm GA-3 solution for stratifying the seeds. I'd leave them in the solution 2-4 days. The problem is that I've had that particular solution for many, many months so I think it lost its effectiveness. I was trying to use it to stratify some other non-carnivorous plants, and all the seeds that had graced the presence of that solution started to develop mold in baggie method. I've thrown out that solution and made a 400ppm fresh solution, based on somebody else's comment on their concentration--I think it was Matt that posted using 400ppm. I will soak a new group of seeds tonight (Tuesday night) for trying this weekend (Friday evening).

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!