FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By TheCapedSundew
I have seedlings of 2 different sarr. types (both hybrids) that I'm concerned about. I don't have pics, but I'll describe them as best I can.

The seedlings all have two pitchers apiece, but they're kind of "in the air"; the pitchers aren't sitting on the soil surface, but rather standing on a thin stem. Most (if not all) have a couple of non-carnivorous leaves lower on the stem, but still in the air.

Is this normal sarr. seedling growth? I'm concerned that the plants are growing on a thin stem that will be too weak to support them as they grow. I'm playing with the idea of laying down a little more soil at the base of the seedlings to give them more support, but I wanted to get some opinions first.
By MichaelGuardian
All sarracenia seedlings start off with non-carnivorous leaves called cotyledons. So your plants are fine. With the stem part, it's fine, leave it like it is. As the pitcher develops, its roots will also grow deeper, providing support for the seedling.

Sometimes, being too careful can be bad, in this case, you might knock the whole plant over.
MichaelGuardian liked this
By TheCapedSundew
Thanks, that's reassuring. I have them out with my other plants (subject to full sun, rain, wind [though not much rain or wind lately]). Do you think that's alright, or should I "protect" them more somehow?
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!