FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By drskipjack
Hello! This is my first post, but I've been into carnivorous plants for a while now.

I bought a small scarlet belle (I think) this fall, and since I had heard that psittacina could sometimes live without a full dormancy, I decided to keep it next to my windowsill in my apartment in Minneapolis, MN. It was doing really well, until I left it under my roommates care for a month. Somehow, of all of my plants (nepenthes, heliamphora, succulents, etc.), she only managed to kill an english ivy and maim my Sarracenia. I came back and the soil was quite dry, and many of the pink tips of the pitchers had turned brown. What should I do?
I was thinking that I could maybe put it in the fridge and give it a 2-3 month dormancy, to give it some time to rest, and see if it comes back. I would put it outside, but the temps can drop to -20 F for weeks on end here, so I don't think it would survive. Any input is appreciated.

-Davis
[img]IMG_0021.JPG[/img]
Attachments:
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0021.JPG (913.01 KiB) Viewed 4148 times
By Shadowtski
Welcome to the forums. You'll find a nice bunch of people here and a few cranky old curmudgeons, like me. It's a very friendly community.

I have a Sarracenia 'Scarlet Belle' also but I am not a Sarracenia expert. With that caution in mind, here is my suggestion. Someone more experienced may override my suggestions. If so, listen to the expert's advice over mine.

Look at the growing point. Does it look healthy Pink/Red or dried out? If it still looks good, I'd let your plant continue growing the way it is. You might want to submerge it for a day or so in a bowl of water to thoroughly rehydrate it. In Nature, they're often subjected to temporary flooding.

You may have lost some of this years pitchers but don't worry, leave them be. New pitchers will be coming soon. As long as there is any good tissue left, they will photosynthesize and help the plant regain its strength.

This Spring, you can put the plant outside until almost the first frost. Then bring it in for Winter. As long as it's getting seasonal amounts of light, it should have a dormancy while still looking nice. Mine is in a cool basement now. Milwaukee, Wisconsin has Winters way too cold to leave mine outside.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By steve booth
As Mike says if there are growth points that look health and are firm, I would keep it wet and growing as another shock such as putting it into a sudden dormancy wouldn't be good.
If it is alive it should stay alive and start growing again soon, if it has dried out too much over the month you were away,it will shrivel.
It may not do anything till the day length increases so dont give up on it

Good Luck
Steve
By drskipjack
The growth points look good, so I'll just make sure it has plenty of clean water and hope for the best.

Thanks!
By Fishkeeper
Looks like it's in pretty good shape. Give it a nice long soak, maybe some extra bugs, and that should do it.
How did someone kill an English ivy, though? You can barely kill that stuff with poison and a machete.
Noob with questions

Always look for new growth coming from the center.[…]

WTB Drosera...

Looking to expand the collection... Anyone with Dr[…]

see here http://pinguicula.org/pages/plantes/pingu[…]

look here, good idea for ping culture http://pingu[…]

What the f-

I think it was a result of pesticides and / or the[…]

Oxygen Rot/Eating Itself

You won’t be able to save the trap, but the […]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

An assortment of sundews.

Your flytrap will be fine. Continue to give proper[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!