FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By TheGamingReptile
I understand your problem. But the sun is very important for them. A solution is to grow them under artificial light. Go to a plant store and ask for a lamp to grow plants. That's the only solution I think

My two cents knowledge
Happy growing

Στάλθηκε από το ALE-L21 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
By xr280xr
Natedawg wrote:Hey Matt, considering that you also live in Oregon, how do you handle the rain? It's going to start raining tomorrow and likely just keep raining from now until the beginning of June along with frequent frosts. The plants will be completely waterlogged all winter and spring. The temperature is just going to keep dropping as well, so they are never going to lose any of that moisture. Any thoughts? Should I keep them covered with something clear so they still get the sun but minimize the rain? The're looking pretty sad right now but I do see some new growth. I have the ability to fabricate a clear acrylic enclosure that could be open on the sides, like a little pagoda. This could protect them from the elements but still allow the sun and airflow.
IMO, the simplest solution would be to have them in a very course, well draining medium that allows the water to drain through freely. A climate controlled greenhouse or just a cover as you suggested is an alternative, or using a grow light in a garage or shed is a more expensive solution.
By Matt
Natedawg wrote:Hey Matt, considering that you also live in Oregon, how do you handle the rain? It's going to start raining tomorrow and likely just keep raining from now until the beginning of June along with frequent frosts. The plants will be completely waterlogged all winter and spring.
We get far less rain down here, but we do have to move them in and out of the greenhouses when it rains for long stretches. We usually leave them out until the first consistent rain comes. Then I let them get watered nicely and move them into the greenhouses until the next dry spell comes along.
Natedawg wrote:Should I keep them covered with something clear so they still get the sun but minimize the rain?
If you can do that, that would work well. That's essentially what we do by moving them into and out of the greenhouses.
By Natedawg
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will pull them inside and set up an artificial environment for a milder winter if it's not too late already. If I don't the VFTs will be cold and 100% waterlogged for the next 6 months up here. They have already spent the last week and a half getting rained on all day. I may go so far as making a small greenhouse outside for them.
By Orit
Amazon has a few different inexpensive mini greenhouses. I wouldn't trust them to protect against deep freezes or heavy winds, but they should work nicely to prevent the rain from reaching your traps.
By Bob Beer
When I buy death cube Flytraps I generally just put them straight outside, in shade or just morning sun for a few days, then into full sun. I’ve never had a problem. (I’m in Seattle.) Flytraps like to be moist, not sopping, and also some root run, so a taller pot is better. A tall 4” plastic pot should be fine for now. Pot in a 50/50 mixture of pure peat and fine perlite or coarse quartz sand. Keep a little water in the tray; 1/2 inch is plenty. Once they go dormant, you can remove them from the tray and let the rain keep them moist. If you get a really cold snap, say below 25F, you can bring them in for the duration but keep them cool; then just put them back out. You shouldn’t skip the dormancy; these plants aren’t so small. Also there’s no real trick to it in W. Oregon; the weather will tell them. When weather starts warms and you see new growth, go ahead and put them back in their water tray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Natedawg
My intention with the greenhouse was not to skip dormancy, but create an environment where I could simulate a more natural winter environment. I would supply heating, lighting, and humidity control as necessary to keep the conditions suitable for dormancy.

Bob - I have repotted each of them already in a 4"dia x 6" deep pot already in long grain sphagnum moss with all the drain holes open on the bottom of the pots. As you said, flytraps like to be moist, not sopping. If I leave them exposed to the rain, they will be completely sopping wet for the next six months. Maybe my definition of "moist" vs "sopping" is different, but in the rain, the moss is going to stay 100% saturated through the whole winter but there won't be any standing water in the pot. Is this ok with what you have experienced? Below is a quote from the care basics section of this site:

"It is especially important during their dormancy to avoid wet conditions when it is very cool or cold at the same time. Because Venus fly trap should be kept cool for much of the time during their dormancy, it is best to allow the growing medium to become almost dry before watering again. Sometimes this means watering only 2-3 times per month during dormancy, depending on weather, humidity and the size of the pot the Venus fly trap is growing in (larger pots often retain water for a longer period). So keeping Venus flytrap soil “moist, not wet” most of the time is a good general rule, and it should be less moist most of the time during its dormancy when the air is cool to cold." http://www.flytrapcare.com/venus-fly-trap-water

I hope I'm not coming across as being difficult, I just want to provide the optimum conditions and not just barely get by :) Currently, they are sitting outside right now, fully exposed on the south side of my house.
By Bob Beer
No peoblem. :-) LFS does hold a lot more water; that’s why many prefer a mix of pure peat and perlite or coarse sand. Good that you moved them out. This time of year the sun is not as intense anyway; you should be just fine. About water: as long as the plants are not standing in water, the extra water will drain; what I mean by “sopping” is standing in lots of water, like some Sarracenias prefer (S. psittacina can actually be submerged during the winter at times). Pinguicula primuliflora likes that too - I grow those in a shallowish bonsai pot in up to an inch of water. Flytraps would not appreciate that in the least. ;-)

But basically, except for those rare once-in-10-years extreme deep freeze events, our climate is great for overwintering Flytraps. Keep experimenting and you’ll find what works the best for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!