FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Bicyclemaster
I just got some new plants, n. Briggsiana, n. Macfarlanai, n. Gentle and n. Mojito.

I was wondering if the 15W growbulb from sansi would be enough for 5 nepenthes and a few drosera. They are all in max 10cm pots and I can fit all of them in a 40 cm² area. Righ5now they've all acclimating with bags on them, under a random light that I have, which gives them around 2k lux.

The 15W should give them about 7k lux if it's 30cm (1ft) above them, so I think it's enough.

The droseras are a capensis and 2 plants they gave me for free: an andromeda and prolifera.

I also have a small humidifier running non stop next to the plants. Could this damage the bulb? I've heard that they're not that water resistant.
By Intheswamp
I'm no expert, but I'll throw my thoughts out anyhow. :mrgreen:

My thinking is that neps do not need crazy bright lighting. It seems that diffused window light works well for them and overly bright light can hurt them...? Do you have a window situated that you could use for the nepenthes? On the other hand, the drosera will do well beneath bright light. The light strength will be stronger in the center and will fall off toward the edges...I would put the drosera in the center and the neps around the perimeter.

Determining light requirements from specs seem to be problematic for me in that there's lots of info out there on plant needs and on how to calculate the light. I use this website a bit for figuring my lighting. I *think* it's a fairly accurate website in regards to the lighting articles. This is the page I use the most, "Part 2", but the previous part, "Part-1" preps you a bit for it.
++++++++++++++
I had a bunch more written but while I stepped away from the computer my beautiful bride slipped into the chair and surfed elsewhere. Of course her priorities were much higher than mine...she was searching for Christmas songs to carry to the women's jail ministry that she heads up at our county jail so I'll let her slide. ;) Anyhow, the above is all that was in the cache when I got back.

I'll add here that halving the distance to the plants from the light will/should/might(?) quadruple your DLI but reduce the coverage area significantly. Doubling the distance will reduce the DLI to a fourth of what it was while increasing the coverage area. The 15w bulb will have a low DLI, I would say go on up to the 24w or even the 32w bulb if you can swing it...future-proof for other projects...you can raise or lower the higher wattage/DLI bulbs to fit your needs. The 15 watt bulb will be the most restrictive in adjustments.

Anyhow, I'm no expert...that's worth repeating! :mrgreen:
Best wishes and Merry Christmas!!!
Hedonista liked this
By Intheswamp
Also, I'm not sure about the humidifier affecting the bulb. The specs say it is corrosion resistant, or coated or something. Seems that it might have a bit of built-in protection against humidity (which would make sense). But, I would think it will depend on how high the humidity really is.

Also, the descriptions on Amazon of the Sansi bulbs includes each bulb's PPFD which can be used in the calculators on the part 2 page linked to above. ;)
By Bicyclemaster
Hey, thanks a lot for all the information, anything helps :). The plants are on my balcony, SE facing windows, but in winter there's barely any light coming in, it's 100% not enough.

This website is very useful, thanks. I've read everything and I really didn't know about DLI. Sansi provides PPFD date for their lights and the 15W has about 130PPFD at 1ft from the plants. From all of the sites I've looked on, between 100-200PPFD should be enough for nepenthes, but now that I look on the DLI date that they provide on curiousplant, 130 seems very little.

The thing is, I've already ordered the light 🤣. It was on sale for 10$ and I wanted something good enough for now, plus it's quite cheap. Also, because I live in Romania, the equivalent on 10$ in my currency is 40$. Like, if someone earns 3000$ monthly in the US, for the same job here they earn 4-5 times less. So yea, it's kinda hard to buy things priced for the US since they are expensive for me. Probably if I get more plants and I find a big sale for a 24-36W bulb, I'll also buy one. I'll try making it work with this 15W when it comes. I'll use it mostly in winter and maybe autumn.

Don't worry you lost the rest that you wrote, I appreciate it all. Also, the wife always has priority no matter what. I'm massaging my gf while writing this🤣.
By Bicyclemaster
Intheswamp wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:11 pm Also, I'm not sure about the humidifier affecting the bulb. The specs say it is corrosion resistant, or coated or something. Seems that it might have a bit of built-in protection against humidity (which would make sense). But, I would think it will depend on how high the humidity really is.
I think I'll tone it down with the humidity for now anyways. My windows are covered in condensation from all of the humidity and I really dont want mould. Actually I've already seen some mould in a corner, horrible😭. I'll be getting a hygrometer as soon as possible and try to keep humidity at 60%, maybe try to do something about the condensation as well. I've read that if they're covered with window film it should stop the condensation.
By Intheswamp
I understand 100%...we gotta live within our means! ;) Lots of people on this side of the water don't understand that concept, though. :| I mentioned that it was confusing to try to figure lighting out due to the data you can find. Unless you've got your own high-dollar equipment it's difficult to measure it yourself...but you can get "close". Here is another link to a list of PPFD recommendations: Carnivero: Genera Specific PPFD Recommendations. It seems on this list the 15w light is more than sufficient for the neps and does pretty good for the drosera, too! We do the best we can do. Watch your plants and see how they respond. A 100-120 watt flood light with daylight temperatures works pretty good, too. Like I mentioned...moving the light closer to the plants ups its intensity greatly. ;) Just be sure it doesn't get too hot on the plants...most LEDs will do pretty good with that...I've got some 1-inch tall drosera filiformis growing *maybe* 2 inches (probably less) from a Yescom 225 white panel and they're doing great. :)

As for the humidity, you might try just having a bowl or two of water sitting beside the neps. If you use the tray method to water the drosera then that will help raise the humidity a bit. A plastic spray bottle set on a fine spray works pretty good to mist the plants with to raise the humidity...neps will like it, the droseras not so much. Yeah, when you start seeing mold growing you might want to back off a bit with the humidity. :mrgreen:

I agree, these ladies of ours beat out most anything else on the priority list! ;)
Hedonista liked this
By Intheswamp
Another thing you could do is to add some back/side reflectors...mylar, aluminum foil, even a white piece of cardboard...anything to reflect "lost" light back to the plants. ;)
By Intheswamp
You got me going down rabbit trails on plant DLI/PPFD needs so I was looking through the forum and stumbled upon this post/short-thread regarding lighting. Pretty in depth. I figured you might want to browse through it: post356199.html#p356199

Order received. Your order number is 1696. I'll PM[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1695. I'll PM[…]

(Want) SD Kronos venus flytrap

I have one i could spare, it’s a small siz[…]

Big Ol' Traps!

Oh, very nice! I love when flytraps have that sort[…]

Flower stalk

A heavy pot is a good way to stop plants blowing a[…]

Leaf cutting

Generally it's not a good idea to cut off healthy […]

SnappyPlants store!

Try the FIRST Scientifically blended carnivoro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!