FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Bhart90
first and foremost I would like to apologize for reposting this issue. I just figured it would be better to have all of my issues on one subject, clearly it was a mistake sorry. My son duo Sarah intermedia has gone downhill for whatever reason and I'm afraid I will lose it! In the beginning it was beautiful in through the last week or so maybe more it has gone downhill it had to flower spikes, both did not grow at the same time. But ended up with the same issues. As soon as they got to their peak height the flowers ceased to open as if they were petrified. I cut both off after having both stocks succumb to the same and ordeal! And I don't think this is a dormant stage, but I would so happy if I was wrong. What is your information regarding this? Thank you.and there was not necessarily any changes and its environmental conditions. I did decide to water at once and I checked out the roots but they were normal as can be. Does it look like it is dying because I'm worried and did these flower spikes stress to hell out of it
Attachments:
Repotted, roots were fine
Repotted, roots were fine
webcam-toy-photo10.jpg (69.69 KiB) Viewed 2487 times
webcam-toy-photo8.jpg
webcam-toy-photo8.jpg (61.67 KiB) Viewed 2487 times
webcam-toy-photo9.jpg
webcam-toy-photo9.jpg (24.36 KiB) Viewed 2487 times
By Bhart90
no! That is not a repeated picture I don't know where it is so none of those are of that, my apologies but once again the roots were fine. On another note this is my spatulas they are healthy as can be but the flower stocks with them are turning black at the flowers and have not open either what is the issue with this is As well
Attachments:
webcam-toy-photo13.jpg
webcam-toy-photo13.jpg (45.19 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
webcam-toy-photo12.jpg
webcam-toy-photo12.jpg (23.66 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
By MichaelGuardian
Your intermedia looks fine, it's not dormant, the little spoon shaped things in the center will unfurl into leaves. and it looks like you have repotted it, so it might of lost some dew, but if you didn't repot it, it might of lost its dew from you watering on the leaves. And also, I think a little bit more light would help.

And one more thing, here's my dormant intermedia on the bottom left of the picture, so you can know what it looks like. And is your intermedia tropical or temperate?

MichaelGuardian liked this
By Bhart90
Wish I knew tbh I believe it is from florida.

Just looked on ebay to try and figure it out, but I am no longer able to view the item details to figure out where it came. What I am able to do is look at the list of items I did purchase rather than the complete description of, and this is guaranteed intermedia, correct? because looking at the name it was sold as a capalaris These are the only sundews I have besides my capensis they are labeled intermedia that's, correct? Or is capalaris possibility, because 1 of those was titled as a capalaris.

Is spathulata one of these good gOd
do you know what the names of these species are, I cannot believe I am second Guessing myself
By MichaelGuardian
Wait a second, I think I'm wrong, I think your plant might be a capillaris. Intermedias and capillaris look quite the same, so it's hard to tell. And where did you buy this plant?
By Bhart90
Ebay, I cannot pull up geographic location, cooks carnivorous Plants. And this suckered had no oo ooh trouble catching it's own food, always had meals, and my other ones are those spathulata? Once again I cannot pull up information from eBay I am assuming because it has been so long since I received them
By MichaelGuardian
Your other pictures look like thy are spatulatas, but it is impossible to know for sure. All i know is that it is tropical and does not require dormancy.
By entropy81
It doesn't look like a typical capillaris. Those generally look more like spatulatas. Yours looks very much like an intermedia. Except not much vertical growth and fewer leaves overall, only ground hugging growth, which for intermedia would be the older growth. That's why I thought it looked kind of ragged. For a capillaris it could be normal.

The only problem is around the gulf coast and in Florida, where yours came from. Down there capillaris and intermedia are interbreeding and producing hybrids. Capillaris that look like intermedia. I don't know how you could tell in that case. It's possible your plant could be one.

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5265.html
Finally, something weird is going on with the populations of D. intermedia and D. capillaris, especially in the Gulf Coast and down into peninsular Florida. In these areas you encounter bizarre " long-leafed D. capillaris" which look completely unlike the D. capillaris you might see further inland. Many people speculate we are seeing hybrid swarms, polyploids or something else similar. I am starting to adopt the heretic possibility that there are some crytic species that have not been properly identified, but I have not spent enough field time to make any kind of final pronouncement.
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/howto/ ... perate.php
There is an extreme amount of variation in Drosera capillaris in the south eastern USA. The plants range from flat and "chubby" like the ones in central Alabama to erect and long petioled like the ones in central Florida. Some populations may vary in form throughout the year or with exposure to the sun. The northern ones are summer growing while the southern ones can be more robust in the winter. The Brazilian plants are "chubby" like the plants from Alabama.
Drosera capillaris from Pasco County, in west central Florida. These 60 mm wide plants are also known as the "long arm" form and "Pasco Giant". These plants may have some introgression from Drosera intermedia.
entropy81 liked this
By Bhart90
wow that was inteNse ty for the information
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!