FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Maxzilla90
HI,
Im curious at what point is a Dionaea large enough that flowering is reasonably safe?
Is there a difference between cultivars?
What are some tips to getting seeds without risking parent plants?, just good growing conditions?

thanks, Max
By Nick
Maxzilla90 wrote:HI,
Im curious at what point is a Dionaea large enough that flowering is reasonably safe?
Is there a difference between cultivars?
What are some tips to getting seeds without risking parent plants?, just good growing conditions?

thanks, Max
Many growers wait until their plants have had a full growing season and dormancy before allowing their plants to flower. There isn't really a set point outside of having near ideal plant health.

If you choose to let them flower, be sure they have AMPLE light and also note that normal leaf development may slow or stop until a few weeks after the entire flowering process is complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nick liked this
By nimbulan
People worry too much about flytraps flowering. If the plant is healthy, it will be fine. Can you imagine if all the plants in the wild died after flowering? They would have gone extinct a long time ago.
nimbulan liked this
By Maxzilla90
nimbulan wrote:People worry too much about flytraps flowering. If the plant is healthy, it will be fine. Can you imagine if all the plants in the wild died after flowering? They would have gone extinct a long time ago.
There are many monocarpic plants(purposefully die after flowering), though Dionaea isn't one of them. I haven't had a problem with die off in the past with typicals in the past, but I also find it hard to find any information on this subject beyond Barry Rice saying "don't do it". Im trying to collect more information before I "risk" the plants i'm attached to and that are hard to replace/expensive.
Like:
Do all cultivars react the same to flowering, or do reds have a harder time since most grow lower anyways?
I just haven't any place to find this info.
By Benurmanii
Maxzilla90 wrote:
nimbulan wrote:People worry too much about flytraps flowering. If the plant is healthy, it will be fine. Can you imagine if all the plants in the wild died after flowering? They would have gone extinct a long time ago.
There are many monocarpic plants(purposefully die after flowering), though Dionaea isn't one of them. I haven't had a problem with die off in the past with typicals in the past, but I also find it hard to find any information on this subject beyond Barry Rice saying "don't do it". Im trying to collect more information before I "risk" the plants i'm attached to and that are hard to replace/expensive.
Like:
Do all cultivars react the same to flowering, or do reds have a harder time since most grow lower anyways?
Don't do it, as in, don't let it flower? While I love Barry's site, it is very outdated, with some misinformation on there.
By Maxzilla90
Benurmanii wrote:
Maxzilla90 wrote:
Like:
Don't do it, as in, don't let it flower? While I love Barry's site, it is very outdated, with some misinformation on there.
Ya, it actually says "Should you let your fly trap flower? No!" (http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2620.html)
but that doesn't help if you want to do crosses.
By cjpflaumer
I let every single one of my plants flower last year and set seed with manual pollination and I had absolutely no set back. As everyone has said, as long as the plants getting plenty of light and had a good dormancy, let it flower.

Now if you picked it up from a Home Depot two weeks ago, I would recommend snipping it as you are gonna need to save energy so it can adapt to normal conditions. Thats my opinion.
By tommyr
Unless the plant isn't healthy there is ZERO problem letting them flower. Imagine all the "doomed" WILD VFTs that flower. It's a myth that it'll kill the plant.
By BillyKidd
Well, after reading the posts in this topic, I think instead of cutting the stalk and trying to get it to root a new plant, I may just go ahead and let it flower out. Thanks!

Yes sir the filiformis floridana OP is ok, and Mix[…]

Hello again from Florida

Welcome

Weird Pitchers, advice?

the black absorbs the full spectrum of light makin[…]

primaflora likes to be almost wet. I keep it in sh[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1671. I'll PM[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1670. I'll PM[…]

Hey everyone! I'm back on my hunt to look for a d[…]

New cultivar potential?

For its stout leaves and proportionately large t[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!