FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
During my trip to Wilimington and Croatan National Forest, I was very graciously given a place to stay with Dan Sheret, Rehder Carnivorous Plant Garden caretaker, and his wife, Mary Ames. I cannot thank them enough for opening their house to me and allowing me to use their residence as my home base during my stay in the area.

In addition to providing me with a place to stay, Dan also provided me with the opportunity of a lifetime: to select and legally harvest 3 wild flytraps growing in the Rehder Carnivorous Plant Garden. This was a dream come true for me. As a child, after finding out about carnivorous plants, I desperately wanted to make a trip to North Carolina and harvest a Venus flytrap to grow as my own! Now, 30 years later, I have had the opportunity to do so. Thanks so much, Dan!

Initially I was hesitant to disturb the garden and take flytraps that I know many people were enjoying on visits to the garden. But Dan insisted and I knew that I could get these wonderful plants in tissue culture and send back dozens or hundreds of each one so that many more existed in the garden, so I started my search!

I surveyed the garden and selected the three largest flytraps I could find out of the hundreds (maybe thousands) growing in the garden. At the time of harvest, I think they all had traps between and inch and 1.25 inches. That's not terribly large, but wild flytraps don't seem to get terribly large. And these Wild Giants have done extremely well in cultivation! The second plant I harvested, which I labeled Rehder Giant #2, currently has the largest traps in my collection. Almost all of the traps are over 1.5 inches, some reaching up to 1.7 inches. And the amazing part about the traps on this plant is that they are almost as wide as they are long! I measured the largest trap and it was 1.7 inches long and 1.5 inches wide! It's hard to capture that in photos, but I did my best. Photos below!

A bit of history on the garden: Originally there were only a few flytraps growing in the location. I believe most of these were poached at some point and there was virtually nothing left when Stanley Rehder started his garden. He introduced a lot of non-native Sarracenia to the site and rebuilt the population of Venus flytraps. Most of the flytraps in the garden were taken from a site in Boiling Springs, North Carolina and used to repopulate the garden. So, best guess is that these Rehder Giant Flytraps were probably originally natively located in Boiling Springs, NC.

Dan Sheret in the Stanley Rehder Carnivorous Plant Garden. Notice the shovel in his right hand. That is what I'd be using to harvest my 3 chosen Rehder Giants!

Me with the first flytrap I selected, which I labeled Rehder Giant #1:

Rehder Giant #2 after 4 months in cultivation here in southern Oregon:

And finally, a couple photos of Rehder Giant #3. So far, this giant hasn't made traps quite as large as Rehder Giant #2, but the traps are nearly as large (over 1.5 inches in length) and it is much more colorful! I really like this one.

I can hardly wait to get these wonderful Wild Giant Flytraps in tissue culture next spring and send a bunch back to Dan and offer them to other Dionaea enthusiasts to add to their private collections in the United States and around the world!
Matt, Matt, Matt and 5 others liked this
By bvalente
Beautiful plants, such an awesome trip you got to experience! I would love to make a trip there and see them in the wild! Pretty humbling seeing how we almost take for granted getting cultivars yet there is so much more we don't know in the wild. Are you planning on distributing these or are these your personal collection? Id love to be able to get one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bvalente liked this
By Matt
bvalente wrote:Are you planning on distributing these or are these your personal collection? Id love to be able to get one
Yeah, I plan on putting them all in tissue culture next spring. I'll send a bunch back to Dan and offer them in the FlytrapStore as well, probably starting sometime in late 2015 or early 2016.
By katya_dog1
Number 3 is my favorite. Beautiful color!
katya_dog1 liked this
By bvalente
Matt wrote:
bvalente wrote:Are you planning on distributing these or are these your personal collection? Id love to be able to get one
Yeah, I plan on putting them all in tissue culture next spring. I'll send a bunch back to Dan and offer them in the FlytrapStore as well, probably starting sometime in late 2015 or early 2016.
That's awesome! Great experience you got to have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Matt
sbrooks wrote:So, potentially, the last one could be named RG3. It could be described as a strong, fast-grower that's very prone to injury.
:lol:
MrsMuscipula wrote:Sounds like the trip of a lifetime!
For me, it was. I'm sure some people could think of a million things they'd rather do than walk through swampy areas looking for diminutive plants :D
MrsMuscipula wrote:I would be honored to own one of these clones someday.
I'm honored to have the chance to propagate them and get them out there! In a couple of years, you should be able to get your hands on them.
Matt liked this
By katya_dog1
Matt wrote: For me, it was. I'm sure some people could think of a million things they'd rather do than walk through swampy areas looking for diminutive plants :D
Not me! :lol:
By David F
Wow, Matt, that does sound like a dream come true! Good for you, I think of all the people in the entire world you are certainly among the most deservant of this treat.
David F liked this
By Matt
Dionae wrote:I love #3 but you know I'm partial to the red plants:).
Me too. #1 gets great coloration too. It's not looking particularly impressive right now and it was early in the spring when I dug it up in the photo, so it didn't have much color yet.

But the size of #2 is pretty insane. The overall surface area of the traps are probably the largest I've ever seen.
Matt liked this
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!