FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
tgplp wrote:I sowed seeds for normal vfts about 5-6 weeks ago, and they never germinated. I sowed special red vfts 2 weeks ago, and today 2 are germinating! Yay! I used a different soil mix for the normal seeds. Do you think this is why they didn't germinate? Do you think I should start over and resow for the normal seeds?
Were both sets of seeds from the FlytrapStore? If not, where did you source the "normal" VFT seed? Perhaps it was too old?

There are quite a few reasons for seeds not to germinate and soil could be one of them. Well, even in rich potting soil, the seeds would probably germinate, but they might die from mineral burn before you'd notice any visible growth from them.

Other reasons for no germination are:
1) Direct sunlight cooked the seeds.
2) They are old and no longer viable.
3) They didn't get warm enough.

There are more reasons for not getting germination, but I don't want to think too hard right now :)
By tgplp
Thanks Matt! The normal seeds were fresh from fly trap care, so I know there is nothing wrong with the seeds. ;) I bet it was the soil. I just thought it wasn't the soil because I'd at least see the seeds germinate, so thanks for clearing up the fact that the plants are so small I wouldn't be able to see the plants before they died.

I'll just plant the regular seeds in different soil.

Thanks,
Taryn
Our Postal Workers Hard At It

There may be some unprintable characters that made[…]

Hello!

I have all three that I can ship to you, what do y[…]

A Bumpy Photothread

PXL_20240512_215718666.jpg Undulatifolias first […]

Master Gardener Course

Anyone here ever done a master gardener certific[…]

Great. Thank you for that info. I will probably sp[…]

andynorth's Grow/want list

This is the actual S. flava var. ornata "ligh[…]

Can vft survive windy days?

Mine has been through 2 hurricanes and numerous st[…]

How to clone this pitcher plant?

The mix is this Nepenthes alata giant x truncata r[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!