FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.

Moderator: Matt

By Ras
Would love a shot at this. Just need to know if i should build a warm or cool terrarium.
By Benurmanii
Hate to be a bummer, but it's not actually available... anywhere. :P It's listed on there as an example of a tier 3 item. I talked to Fernando about D. magnifica back in the summer. He said that they failed to grow it the last time they tried, and I've heard rumors that the seeds are in fact infertile! Fernando told me that he might try introducing some plants into cultivation again, and I know he did go down there in December, so there is a possibility they are trying to grow it again.
Benurmanii liked this
By Shadowtski
Sorry about that. I used a couple of exotic species as examples and placeholders on the class 3 list. Any seed shown with a quantity is actually in the seedbank. If no quantity is shown, we don't have it, yet.

I apologize for the confusion.

Good growing,
Mike
By DeadlyCarnivore
How does D. Magnifica survive if its seeds are infertile?

Sent from my SM-G935V
By Benurmanii
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:How does D. Magnifica survive if its seeds are infertile?

Sent from my SM-G935V
Asexually. Think of it like the forest of Aspen trees that are actually all off-shootsof one plant: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pando_(tree)

I haven't actually confirmed with Fernando if he believes that it is an infertile species, but they did not find any seedlings or young plants representing seedlings when they searched.
By nimbulan
The plants aren't necessarily infertile, but the entire colony could be comprised of a single clone that has spread vegetatively, and is self-incompatible. Either way I've heard the same - that nobody's been able to germinate seeds.
By DeadlyCarnivore
nimbulan wrote:The plants aren't necessarily infertile, but the entire colony could be comprised of a single clone that has spread vegetatively, and is self-incompatible. Either way I've heard the same - that nobody's been able to germinate seeds.
Thats very interesting.

Sent from my SM-G935V
By Benurmanii
nimbulan wrote:The plants aren't necessarily infertile, but the entire colony could be comprised of a single clone that has spread vegetatively, and is self-incompatible. Either way I've heard the same - that nobody's been able to germinate seeds.
I read that lots of seeds were found, but no seedlings. I would imagine that if they were just not self-compatible, then no seeds would be produced at all.

Either way, no body really knows the trick to growing it. Maybe one day we will have it figured out and in cultivation.
By David F
At the moment there's no way of knowing if D. magnifica is self incompatible. However it is fertile and does produce viable seeds. Seeds have been germinated in cultivation. But please do not ask who has these plants as I do not know their identity, but can only confirm they do exist.

It will be several years before we see them in cultivation. This is all I know about the species for now in that regard.

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!