FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By SEWinans
Alien "starter" from FTS and a phalanx from CZplants finally starting to look ok.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (455.4 KiB) Viewed 4026 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (393.26 KiB) Viewed 4026 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (401.15 KiB) Viewed 4026 times
SEWinans liked this
By Alex2893
how long have you had the alien ? by the amount of green growing on the moss i imagine a few months. iv had mine for over a month and its not quite that size yet but its getting there
By Morpheus
Nice Phalanx! I love that cultivar! It's definitely one of my favorites
By SEWinans
Alex2893 wrote:how long have you had the alien ? by the amount of green growing on the moss i imagine a few months. iv had mine for over a month and its not quite that size yet but its getting there
I ordered it April 8th 2015. It arrived the following week I think. Can't remember for sure.

Alien grows very vigorously in my opinion. Some of the young traps have captured and digested their own prey also.
By SEWinans
Morpheus wrote:Nice Phalanx! I love that cultivar! It's definitely one of my favorites

Do you have one as well? I'd love to see pictures of other phalanx plants.
By Alex2893
That Alian is probably a young adult at this point.
By SEWinans
A couple of my favorite plants this year. They're very young. Can't wait to see how they mature!
Attachments:
FTS Archangel
FTS Archangel
image.jpg (721.96 KiB) Viewed 3880 times
FTS Archangel
FTS Archangel
image.jpg (379.39 KiB) Viewed 3880 times
Spotty
Spotty
image.jpg (716.61 KiB) Viewed 3880 times
Spotty
Spotty
image.jpg (458.63 KiB) Viewed 3880 times
Spotty
Spotty
image.jpg (700.86 KiB) Viewed 3880 times
SEWinans liked this
By yellowjacket7
Awesome flytraps! I can see why those are your favorites!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yellowjacket7 liked this
By Matt
I remember sending you those plants, Sarah. They were tiny! Great growing!

Your Spotty looks like the rest of the Spotty flytraps we've taken out of tissue culture. It doesn't show the variegation at all. I don't know why. My nautral divisions show it, but not any of the TC plants :?

I'm still evaluating some other variegated varieties, but Scarlatine is probably going to be the variegated flytrap that we end up focusing on propagating and distributing because it comes out of TC with the variegation and is very vigorous and a great overall plant.
Matt liked this
By SEWinans
Of course I would have preferred if this Spotty had ended up being variegated but I think it's an absolutely beautiful plant nonetheless. It's one of my favorites and I really appreciate that you guys sent it to me :)

Can't wait to see Scarlatine when it becomes available!

I've read that even natural divisions of "Spotty" lose their spots eventually.

Do you have any experience growing Charlie Mandon's Spotted or crop teeth blotch? I am thinking of ordering them before Summer is over.

I wonder what causes the variegation to begin with. I have a pot of baby flytraps that I ordered last year that has one seedling that is spotted. I'm not sure if the plant has caught a virus somehow or if it's a natural mutation. Time will tell I suppose.
By Matt
SEWinans wrote:I've read that even natural divisions of "Spotty" lose their spots eventually.
Ah, OK, that would make sense. Most of my original natural divisions still look "spotty" most of the time, but some of them have lost their spots and turned all green or all red.
SEWinans wrote:Do you have any experience growing Charlie Mandon's Spotted or crop teeth blotch? I am thinking of ordering them before Summer is over.
I have quite a few Charlie Mandon's Spotted that I obtained from two different sources. I have never seen any variegation on it. I do have it in tissue culture, so maybe when we have a larger sample set I'll see some.

I also have Patches, but it hasn't patched yet for me either. And I've not yet grown crop teeth blotch.
SEWinans wrote:I wonder what causes the variegation to begin with.
I haven't formulated a coherent theory yet, but most of the variegated flytraps that have good, predictable variegation (like Spotty and Scarlatine) are sawtooth plants. They seem very similar in growth habit to the red sawtooth plants like FTS Crimson Sawtooth, Bohemian Garnet and Red Piranha, in that they divide a lot. I think whatever genetic tendency the plants have to variegation is tied to the red sawtooth gene in some way.
SEWinans wrote:I wonder what causes the variegation to begin with. I have a pot of baby flytraps that I ordered last year that has one seedling that is spotted. I'm not sure if the plant has caught a virus somehow or if it's a natural mutation. Time will tell I suppose.
I've seen seedlings I've germinated show some variegation when young, but not into adulthood. But I have seen others who have successfully germinated seedlings (from Scarlatine) that were variegated in adulthood. It will be interesting to see if yours stays variegated!
Matt liked this
By Morpheus
SEWinans wrote:
Morpheus wrote:Nice Phalanx! I love that cultivar! It's definitely one of my favorites

Do you have one as well? I'd love to see pictures of other phalanx plants.
Sorry for the late reply lol... I guess I never checked back up...

Sadly I do not have a Phalanx, I've always wanted one but I have no idea where to get one in the states for a fairly low price. I just love the the lengthy cilia on that cultivar! Plus I'm a pretty big mythology nerd so I'm pretty fond of the name too lol!

That Archangel is gorgeous!! I'm guessing you were the person that bought the first one Matt put up on the store? ;) I remember watching that plant like a hawk only to see it sold before I realized it was in-stock lol. If it wasn't so expensive I would pick one up right now! The colors and the trap shape are just perfect! I'm jealous lol!!
Morpheus liked this
Drosera seeds in water?

Ok. Thank you very much, everyone!

I'd like to see how normal traps look on that plan[…]

Hey everyone, I'm starting to sell the majority of[…]

Hi from FNQ.

Welcome. Be sure to check out the seedbank. Free s[…]

Question about flytraps

They should not die, unless you do something extre[…]

If you keep your plants outside, they will feed th[…]

You might also run into problems with the plant […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!