FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By sekler
Hi guys !

I was thinking about something today. If the VFT is not allowed to flower by cutting off the flower stalk which normally produce seeds, I heard that the plant can also reproduce via division.

My question now, since normally it can pretty much live forever when it is well taken care of, do the plants growing from divisions live less longer when this happens ?
When I think about it, they will just separate from the main rhizome (which can be for example 20 years old), so essentially it's not a fresh plant grown from seed. Does it normally grow faster as the rhizome it starts from is more mature ?

What's the difference between letting grow the seeds from the flower or by division ?

thanks for your great help as always !
By moof
sekler wrote:Hi guys !

I was thinking about something today. If the VFT is not allowed to flower by cutting off the flower stalk which normally produce seeds, I heard that the plant can also reproduce via division.

My question now, since normally it can pretty much live forever when it is well taken care of, do the plants growing from divisions live less longer when this happens ?
I never heard of a VFT to die due to it's age:)
sekler wrote: When I think about it, they will just separate from the main rhizome (which can be for example 20 years old), so essentially it's not a fresh plant grown from seed. Does it normally grow faster as the rhizome it starts from is more mature ?
Yeah it'll grow a bit faster and bigger if it'll be alone in the new pot (more light&place)
sekler wrote: What's the difference between letting grow the seeds from the flower or by division ?
The plants obtained by division are genetically identical to the mother plant; the seedgrown ones are genetically different, and if you've made a cross between two different plants there's a chance to obtain a plant with new characteristics.

Peter
Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

I am definitely not with it today I can’t fi[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!