FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By JimsPlants
I recieved this sundew the other day, and was wondering if anyone knows what sort of conditions it likes. Its starting to get cold at night so i dont want to leave it out if it would be happier indoors.
Also if anyone has any ideas about reproducing it with the Gamae it would help as all that is new to me.

Thanks alot
Attachments:
14102009172.jpg
14102009172.jpg (394.67 KiB) Viewed 3712 times
By Aging_Bourbon
Pygmy sundew's are a tropical plant.. so when it get's cold outside bring them in or you can keep them indoors year round like i do haha.. just in a bright window (east or south). Keep the soil moist and basically that's about it.

For gemmae just simply sowing them on moist soil an your good to go

Allen,
By JimsPlants
Where do the gemmae come from? Ive heared that the will appear around winter, but i dont know what im looking for lol. Do they come from a flower?
There was a few small seed looking things caught up in the plant which i tried to get out but most of them ended up straight on the soil, so hopefully they would grow there which will be nice.
Last edited by JimsPlants on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Aging_Bourbon
PatsPlants wrote:Where do the gemmae come from? Ive heared that the will appear around winter, but i dont know what im looking for lol. Do they from from a flower?
There was a few small seed looking things caught up in the plant which i tried to get out but most of them ended up straight on the soil, so hopefully they would grow there which will be nice.
Gemmae come from the plant their little reproductive bodies. No flower they form on the plant around winter, when the Gemmae form they should just fall off onto the soil or you can carefully push them off. Below is a picture of Gemmae on a D.Scorpioides

For more information go to Drosera gemmae and click on "Care Guide"
By JimsPlants
ok thank you i will keep an eye on it. wether they have produced any yet im not sure, it just seems to have standard leaves and fuzzy white around them.
I was pulling off seedlooking things that had fallen down into the plant and where about 1.5mm in size and light brown, Not green like those.

We shall see.

thanks.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!