FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By uusa2000
Is there any techniques to propagation on venus flytrap without pulling or cutting? Like activating more growth points on Venus flytraps?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
By cjpflaumer
I'm not really aware of any methods to propagate with zero intrusion but a flower stalk cutting would be a great way if you want a less intrusive way.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
By LAKJP
uusa2000 wrote:Is there any techniques to propagation on venus flytrap without pulling or cutting? Like activating more growth points on Venus flytraps?

The closest technique I can think of is feeding regularly and giving lots of light so that the plant can have extra energy to divide. ;)
By Wikiwakawakawee
This is in no way proven (at least to my knowlege) but I had my vft in less than ideal conditions (Far away from light, about 6 feet away from the closest window and I wasn't really keeping track of how moist the soil was) while I was building a shelf for it to be next to the window, and about a month after I moved it to the windowsill, it started growing a ton of little divisions/growth points (About 5 or 6). Not telling you to put your plant in bad conditions then switch it over to great conditions, just telling you what happened to me.Image Image

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
By uusa2000
Right, also seen the false vivipary happen for some people.​ I know there's gotta be something that triggers them to divide/more growth points like that as a last resort live on. But I guess thats a pro grower's secret technique

By uusa2000
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:This is in no way proven (at least to my knowlege) but I had my vft in less than ideal conditions (Far away from light, about 6 feet away from the closest window and I wasn't really keeping track of how moist the soil was) while I was building a shelf for it to be next to the window, and about a month after I moved it to the windowsill, it started growing a ton of little divisions/growth points (About 5 or 6). Not telling you to put your plant in bad conditions then switch it over to great conditions, just telling you what happened to me.Image Image

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
I may have to get more experience with growing before I do that

By Nick
The best way to get clones without doing anything to your plant is to let it get ample sunlight. It will sprout new rosettes which can be separated as their own plants.

VFTs can do lots of funky stuff when they are stressed, so I would advise against trying to recreate poor conditions since the plants are so fragile on their own.

False vivipary seems to be mostly random. Some cultivars may do it more than others, but I have not seen someone reliably induce a false vivipary on a VFT.
By boarderlib
uusa2000 wrote:Right, also seen the false vivipary happen for some people.​ I know there's gotta be something that triggers them to divide/more growth points like that as a last resort live on. But I guess thats a pro grower's secret technique

The secret is good care, they will readily divide if given proper conditions. Plain and simple. There's no secret tips that you have to be part of the secret society to know.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!