FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By owkenny
My seedlings have been planted for a while and dont seem to be growing. I was wondering if I could remove the top part of my terrarium and just use my windowsill. Its not very humid where i live but the plant is sitting in a south facing window. I would just prefer not keeping them in the little dome thing but if its gonna hinder my seeds growing, then I guess Ill keep them in.
By Steve_D
owkenny wrote:Its not very humid where i live but the plant is sitting in a south facing window.
Has the covered container been sitting in the direct sunlight? If so, it may have become too hot inside. A clear covering collects heat inside. If it's ventilated (I believe you said it was) then that will reduce the heating but not eliminate it. Very warm and very moist with little air movement also invites infections.

Either keep the dome on and keep it out of direct sunlight, in bright indirect light only, or take the dome off and just make sure that the surface of the medium stays moist (you can use a spray bottle and distilled or rain water to keep it moist).
By Redneck_Angel
I can't sing the praises of humidity trays enough as a way to help keep things from drying out. If you're worried about humidity (or lack thereof) put a humidity tray under your container if you decide to take the top off.
By owkenny
If by humidity tray, you mean a tray of water, then yes i have that. the soil has been moist since i planted it (just over 2 weeks ago), its ventilated on the top and i usually lift the top off once a day to air out quick. It suppose to storm the next two days here so Im prolly just gonna keep with the artificial light for now but once the sun does break, ill prolly take the lid off.
By Redneck_Angel
Humidity tray is different from a watering tray.

A humidity tray needs to seveal inches in diameter LARGER than the pot the plant is in. Fill it with rocks, glass beads, or something similar, then add water to just below the top of the rocks. Put your plant centered in this tray. If you don't want your plants feet getting wet, keep the water level of the humidity tray below the bottom of the pot. This allows the evaporating water to humidify the air a few inches around the plant itself, without creating too much humidity for the room. I know a lot of orchid fanatics use them all the time as most orchids like high humidity.

I'm finding with my flytrap I can use the humidity tray as a watering tray as well, just move enough of the rocks out of the way to put the pot into the water for a while, then pull it back out once it's well watered, put the rocks back, and set the plant above. It helps me control the moisture level in my medium really well, as well as creating that extra bit of humidity (and I'm finding with how often I need to refill the tray that my suite is very dry- which is strange for Victoria :? )
The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I r[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

SASE mailed thank you

Looking for a Cephalotus

A guy in a plant club I'm in said he had some Nepe[…]

AI Generated Nepenthes

Hey look, it's those oddly neon bonsai seeds for s[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!