FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By HokiePV
Hi folks!

I have been meaning to post some photos of my overwinter setup in my garage, and I finally have time, so here goes!

I made the greenhouse last winter to house my grow light and give me a jump on the hot pepper growing season. It gives me about 2' x 4' of growing space under a 8-lamp T5 6500K Sunblaze system. I have two computer fans ventilating with one circulating air from high to low around the light, and another that can be regulated in speed that draws air in via cross ventilation. The whole thing is covered in 6mil plastic, and I made some 1/2" foam inserts to fit in all the "windows" for when the peppers need warmer nights. The main source of heat at night is a timed incandescent bulb I have under the internal fan, and with that and a heat mat or two, the inside stay about 55 degrees when my garage is 40 degrees or less. With the light on, I can regulate the temperature via the vent fan anywhere from 80F to 100F. I can also drop the light to any height needed.

Right now everything is off, and my plants are simply sitting in a 40 degree garage in front of a south facing window, and it has been that way since November. I turned the light on for the purpose of taking photos, but you can see how much light 432 Watts provides.

Enjoy the photos! Any suggestions are welcomed.

The front doors swing open:

The artificial sun:

Night time heat source:

VFT's, sundews, cobra babies, baby pitchers and the ol' ceph. The ceph seems to be loving the cold!

With the light on:

Top view. Beautiful pitchers from FTS on the left!

Light:

Ventilation system. Fan on the right has speed adjustment.

Thanks for looking!

Adam
Last edited by HokiePV on Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HokiePV, HokiePV, HokiePV liked this
By Steve_D
Wonderful setup! Thanks for posting photos; I'm sure they'll give others ideas. :)
By Jaws
Great setup.

Id not heard of Sunblaze lights before your thread, ive just been reading up on them , they look the biz.
By HokiePV
Thanks guys! Its a relief to know I have a nice little area to overwinter everything.
Jaws wrote:Great setup.

Id not heard of Sunblaze lights before your thread, ive just been reading up on them , they look the biz.
They really are. The are by far the best bang for the buck for T5 and provide tremendous amounts of light. If there was headroom, plants would grow year-round under them and thrive.

I'm getting anxious. I am thinking it almost time to repot my plants and get that light turned on! Do I have to gradually build them up to temperature, or would a sudden 80 degrees F be OK?

Thanks!
By Daniel_G
Slowly build up the temps,you don't want your plants thinking they're gonna boil :lol: Start off with oruand 6 hours of light a day or so,and build up from there :)

Anyone find anything exceptional/underwhelming or […]

Greetings fellow enthusiasts! I've been intrigued […]

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Hey all, a couple of pitchers came up with corkscr[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!