FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By dimitar
Dani is right. There is no other way except when they flower. The other way is to know in advance what is the plant but if it is from seed you can't know. The only way is to learn from previous flowering plants and if you have taken cuttings from them.
dimitar liked this
By victor
I don't know about what age they have to be until they flower but I do know know
that they flower in the spring time.
By sekler
I know that for the flowers they also have to be growing properly given their profile origin (highland/lowland). Even if sometimes they grow and live through fluctuations, some will simply not flower at all. Since they are tropical plants, it's harder for the plant to know what time of the year it is, given that often it is grown in terrariums. There can be some variations in their countries of origin which are difficult to reproduce artificially.

It's a bummer that the sex cannot be determined before given the issue. Since it takes time for the plants to mature from seeds, unless you get an adult plant, you have to hope for the best lol. Or buy several until you have a crazy collection, and most likely you may have one that will be a female. I believe I read that in the wild only 30% of nepenthes are female, imagine how many fights we'd get in society if that would be the case ! lol
By jht-union
Thanks sekler, i didn't know about that, i contact the seller, and he told me he was 100% sure the n.rajah was a male, he said that the judith is a male and ventricosa, the others he don't know, so i will see how can i trigger them to flower and then i will know their sex!, no ideas on at what age do they normally flower?
By victor
Again I don't know what age they flower but all I know is that they flower
when they're mature.
By victor
When your plants are about that age they should be old enough to flower.
victor liked this

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!