FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By wiki234
h everyone my plant is going into dormancy i think (i do not know) but there is a flower stalk and some of my traps almost all my traps are dieing at the same time but there are some healthy ones im sorry if you dont see any black ones but there is alot of traps that die all at once and the last time i counted there was 4 from last dormancy and it grew more over the summer and now they die and 4 more traps are left is this normal or is there something wrong???

Picture:Image
By voxxxlll
Well this happened to me aswell.There were 3 stalks growing from my plants, and when the leaves started to die, i cut them off.
By Veronis
I can't really tell from the pics, but many times as a flytrap goes dormant, all but the newest traps will die off. All of the traps will close as well, to prevent any feeding as it goes dormant. From what I can see, the plant is fine, it's just going dormant. If you can post additional pictures of the rest of the plant, that would help.

A flower stalk trying to grow at this time of year, just before it goes completely dormant, is actually a bad thing. It needs to conserve its energy during dormancy, not spend it on a flower stalk.

Cut the flower stalk off with scissors ASAP; it's important that you do so. If you don't, the plant will have very little energy left to emerge from dormancy next Spring.
By voxxxlll
Hi! I had the same situation . If i cut the flower stalk now, will it grow again in spring, or it will grow next winter?Thank you!
By wiki234
will it kill the whole plant if i leave the stalk through dormancy and how can you tell when a new stalk will emerge after dormancy plz help
By dantt99
IT could hurt the plant if you leave the stalk, I recommend you cut the stalk and plant it in some peat/perlite and it may start to grow a new plant.
By wiki234
if i plant the stalk will it grow seeds to plant traps or will it grow traps too? and whats a safe way to remove the stalk, how should i cut it
By ModeratelyExcessive
wiki234 wrote:if i plant the stalk will it grow seeds to plant traps or will it grow traps too? and whats a safe way to remove the stalk, how should i cut it
If you plant the stalk, it will give you baby flytrap clones but not seeds. Cut it with scissors as close to the base of the plant as you can.
By wiki234
what about the top part where the stem is closed will it produce flowers? and how long does it usually take for it to start to grow?
By Daniel_G
no it wont produce floers just little flytraps,and it'll take about 2 weeks to grow :D
By wiki234
will the traps it will grow be as big as the one in the mother plant?
Black tips on drosera regia

It's probably nothing, as the whole plant seems to[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome to the forum!

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

My 'Mimis Kiss' is finally growing pitchers again[…]

Hello , I can help with the Drosera if you are sti[…]

First flower stalk on VFT

I might let the biggest flower stalk flower but c[…]

I repotted some of the vft's from the flower stal[…]

Is this a steal?

The first one is a Nepenthes x 'Ventrata' like Pan[…]

...and now you know better how to plan. ;)

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!