FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By DTDream18
I was out picking up the paper today at my local Shoprite supermarket and I spotted some sickly looking VFT's in the flower section. They came in cylinders and were sold by a company called BloomRite. Even though they were in pretty bad shape the traps that were healthy had a nice deep red coloration, and there were some small traps growing out of the soil too. They kind of resembled pictures that I've seen of Fang VFT's, although I'm sure they're just commons. They seem to have a lot of promise if they don't end up dying ...

So I bought three of them and transplanted them into a large pot that I have growing in a terrarium. I'm thinking of nursing them back to health and possibly skipping hybernation with them this year, or nursing them back for a month or two and then putting them in hybernation in late December, because they definitely need some TLC at this point. I'm afraid if I put them in hebernation in November with the rest of my VFT's that they'll never survive the winter.

Any idea's guys ?
Attachments:
Death Cylinders (8).JPG
Death Cylinders (8).JPG (98.36 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
Death Cylinders (5).JPG
Death Cylinders (5).JPG (94.39 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
Death Cylinders (3).JPG
Death Cylinders (3).JPG (95.68 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
Death Cylinders (2).JPG
Death Cylinders (2).JPG (98.84 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
By sekler
Hey dude,

I always read that in any case it is not much advised to skip dormancy at all as it may just die on you since it's the recovery time that they undergo no matter what happens.

They are renowned to be quite hardy so given the right conditions, I would believe that they have a good chance of recovering if you provide them dormancy. Skipping dormancy seems to be more forgiving in regards to young plants though.

I guess depending of the weather you could have them undergo dormancy inside the house on a window sill (unheated room) where the conditions are a bit more controlled ?

I'll let the experts speak though :)

good luck !
By dantt99
I'm pretty sure skipping dormancy isn't an option unless you want to take a large risk in letting them die.

I have an archangel Venus flytrap that I got aroun[…]

No lol, I was just hoping to get more than one res[…]

Tap water

I just tested my tap water and it is about 190-2[…]

I've now removed the ping, as it was losing its le[…]

Hello!

Nice catch, Chef!

Hi!

Welcome to the forum!

I use rehydrated freeze dried blood worms. They wo[…]

Question on soil

Non-ideal substrates can work out okay, particular[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!