FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By woowoo
Is it ok for the roots to be coming out the botton of the pot? or is this just normal as they like sitting in the water or is pot to small?
By moof
I think you should repot your plant
moof liked this
By Dooter
Are you sure it isn't actually moss hanging out of the bottom of the pot?

In any case, VFTs like deep pots, so you may as well just repot it, regardless of whether it's roots or moss sticking out. :)
Dooter liked this
By emmalish
I'm curious to know what the size of the pot is. And how big is the plant in relation to the pot? Could you post a pic?
emmalish liked this
By Veronis
woowoo wrote:Is it ok for the roots to be coming out the botton of the pot? or is this just normal as they like sitting in the water or is pot to small?
Flytraps actually do not like sitting in water for long periods. They like their soil to be "just damp". You have have them in a tray of water, so long as you allow the water tray to evaporate completely prior to refilling it. A flytrap sitting in water for long periods will *eventually* suffer from root rot, go into decline, and finally die.

If you're certain what's coming out of the bottom of the pot are flytrap roots, yes the pot is too small and you should do as moof suggested. Deeper pots are better than more shallow pots. A flytrap's roots can find their way to the bottom of even the deepest pots; a deeper pot also helps avoid root rot by keeping the majority of the roots "mid-pot", above the water line, where the soil is less wet.
Veronis, Veronis liked this
By heathenpriest
If you're going to repot, you might want to consider a really simple, low-maintenance setup that's worked great for me for several years now:
Go with a pot that's between 10 and 14 inches deep, and let the pot stand in a pan with an inch or two of water in it all the time. Then just refill the pan whenever it goes dry.
If you can't find a pot that deep, you could use something like a tall rose vase or a small wastebasket, and drill some drainage holes in the bottom. White or another light color will help keep it from overheating in full sunlight.
That setup seems to provide the right amount of moisture to the top few inches of soil, where most of the roots are. It also allows you to be away for a week or so at a time without worrying about your plant. Even after the pan goes dry, it takes a deep pot longer to dry out than a shallow one.
By woowoo
emmalish wrote:I'm curious to know what the size of the pot is. And how big is the plant in relation to the pot? Could you post a pic?
Akai ryu
Akai ryu
DSCF3329.JPG (914.93 KiB) Viewed 6151 times
its roots
its roots
DSCF3333.JPG (481.23 KiB) Viewed 6151 times
My B52
My B52
DSCF3334.JPG (906.61 KiB) Viewed 6151 times
B52 root
B52 root
DSCF3342.JPG (330.78 KiB) Viewed 6151 times
Both plants are in 8cm pots. In the first pic of Akai ryu you can see the root at bottom of the pot on the left
By woowoo
Veronis wrote:
woowoo wrote:Is it ok for the roots to be coming out the botton of the pot? or is this just normal as they like sitting in the water or is pot to small?
Flytraps actually do not like sitting in water for long periods. They like their soil to be "just damp". You have have them in a tray of water, so long as you allow the water tray to evaporate completely prior to refilling it. A flytrap sitting in water for long periods will *eventually* suffer from root rot, go into decline, and finally die.

If you're certain what's coming out of the bottom of the pot are flytrap roots, yes the pot is too small and you should do as moof suggested. Deeper pots are better than more shallow pots. A flytrap's roots can find their way to the bottom of even the deepest pots; a deeper pot also helps avoid root rot by keeping the majority of the roots "mid-pot", above the water line, where the soil is less wet.
I have posted some pics can you adv what size of pots i should get?
By Jaws
Id say they want bigger pots from a general gardening view.
Jaws liked this
By MichaelG
Mine love the 6-8 inch (diameter) pots I have them in. I'd say they're at least 8 inches deep.
MichaelG liked this
By emmalish
It's been said already, but I just want to agree that yes, these guys definitely need bigger pots.
emmalish liked this
By Steve_D
Yes, those certainly look like Flytrap roots coming out the bottom of the pots. Those pots look like they're 3.5 to 4 inches deep, and Venus Flytrap roots can easily grow to over 8 inches in depth as they mature. I would repot them into larger pots, both wider and deeper, especially deeper. :)
Steve_D liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!