FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By kittyklaws
There's this weird green coating over the top of the soil in 2 of my 3 VFT seedling pots. I repotted the seedlings maybe a month ago :? About 5 days after I received them in the mail. Currently everything is sitting in a bright Southwesterly window, soil kept moist.
The seedlings seem unaffected by the green slime, putting out as big traps as ever. The soil is the 5:3:2 mix of peat-perlite-silica mix I got from the Flytrapstore. Whatever stuff it is, it stains the silica and perlite greenish. Weirdly the original container's soil that I saved after repotting is completely devoid of the green stuff. But the plants in it do not seem to be as large-trapped as the ones in the greening peat-perlite-silica mix.
Is it algae? or fungus? I've only watered with distilled and rain water...I've scraped off the greened parts to reveal perfectly fine soil underneath, but after a few days, that just starts getting green too :? Help?
By Adam
they would hate to be dried out.. hint hint.. put a fan on them. That should make it really hard for algae to grow. Don't dry them out by putting the light too close to them. Dry them out by air movement, not heat.
Adam liked this
By tonge50
Hi Kittyklaws,
I had the same green stuff form on my potted traps after I put them in the green house last November. It does look like algae, but it might even be a photosynthetic bacteria. The winters here in the SF Bay area are mild, so I decided to move the plants back out of the green house. Since then the rain has washed the peat clean and, in the fresh air, the green stuff hasn't returned. It seems that the warm, still air in the green house was a perfect climate for what ever it was that was growing. My Venus flytraps are doing well outside. If you have to keep your plants indoors, then Adam's suggestion of a fan might be a good idea :D
tonge50 liked this
By heathenpriest
Yes, I've got green slime in one of my pots in my enclosed porch, which is their winter home. I've never seen it when they're outside, though, so I suspect that whatever it is, it can't deal with much of a breeze drying out the top of the soil. It doesn't seem to be hurting the VFTs either, so I'll probably just leave it and see what happens.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!