FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Jade
I have one that will soon be sent in the mail, and I think I found just the right size pot for now at least. (I’m assuming I will have to go up a size when I repot after dormancy).

The pot is 8” tall by 11” wide. It has excellent drainage holes. I’m planning to line the bottom with LFSM, have a 2:1 peat to perlite mix, and then potentially top dress with LFSM.

I was thinking about using a small stand against my shed that gets really good direct sunlight but also a bit of shade.

I was just wondering if this is a good setup or if I got something wrong or overlooked it? I also have a table that basically gets direct sun all day that I have my VFTs on, but it seems like the Sarrs would perhaps do better with the shade.

A couple pics of the pot and the division I’m getting.
IMG_6251.jpeg
IMG_6251.jpeg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 505 times
IMG_6250.jpeg
IMG_6250.jpeg (3.35 MiB) Viewed 505 times
IMG_6244.jpeg
IMG_6244.jpeg (527.23 KiB) Viewed 491 times
By Jade
Oh yeah I am definitely going to clean that pot. My mom grows regular flowers, so it has never seen a CP.

Would you say that I should keep it more on the wet side or just damp? I thought since most people keep them in bogs I’d basically be watering it all the time or using the tray method so it can just stay wet all the time.

Also thank you very much for the answer. I always worry when I switch to a new type of plant. I’ve been trying to read up on them a lot more intensely this past week.

I also live in NE Ohio if that makes a difference to this medium, sunlight, or pot.
By MikeB
Jade wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:44 am Oh yeah I am definitely going to clean that pot. My mom grows regular flowers, so it has never seen a CP.
If you can, submerge the pot in water for several days to dissolve any fertilizer, then scrub it with a brush and rinse it. Should be good to go then.
Jade wrote: Would you say that I should keep it more on the wet side or just damp? I thought since most people keep them in bogs I’d basically be watering it all the time or using the tray method so it can just stay wet all the time.
Sarracenia like to be damp-to-wet, so try to use a deep saucer (about 1/4 of the pot's height, if you can find one). I top-water mine until the saucer is full, let them sit until the saucer runs dry, then repeat.

Also, Sarracenia love sunshine. If you can give it at least 8 hours of direct sun per day, the plant will be happy.
Jade wrote: Also thank you very much for the answer. I always worry when I switch to a new type of plant. I’ve been trying to read up on them a lot more intensely this past week.
FYI - Matt and Leah have a great care guide:

Grow Happy and Healthy Sarracenia Pitcher Plants
https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/sarracenia-care-sheet
andynorth, Jade liked this
By ChefDean
If be careful about putting it against the shed. If it's dark, it will absorb heat that will radiate out to the plant. If it's light, it will reflect that heat onto the plant. Either way, it could be too much at times, especially during the height of summer.
DewsandTraps, MikeB, Jade liked this
By DewsandTraps
ChefDean wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:32 am If be careful about putting it against the shed. If it's dark, it will absorb heat that will radiate out to the plant. If it's light, it will reflect that heat onto the plant. Either way, it could be too much at times, especially during the height of summer.

Very true. Last year my outdoor cp's were growing right next to a south facing wall that is light colored and when I would water them the water would dry up COMPLETELY within a few hours. And I'm still looking for a good spot for them where they won't get dug up/knocked over by my dog or little kids running around. Like ChefDean said, dark absorbs and light reflects so I think the best place would be away from a wall somewhere.

Good luck growing.
Jade liked this
By Jade
MikeB wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:31 am
Jade wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:44 am Oh yeah I am definitely going to clean that pot. My mom grows regular flowers, so it has never seen a CP.
If you can, submerge the pot in water for several days to dissolve any fertilizer, then scrub it with a brush and rinse it. Should be good to go then.
Jade wrote: Would you say that I should keep it more on the wet side or just damp? I thought since most people keep them in bogs I’d basically be watering it all the time or using the tray method so it can just stay wet all the time.
Sarracenia like to be damp-to-wet, so try to use a deep saucer (about 1/4 of the pot's height, if you can find one). I top-water mine until the saucer is full, let them sit until the saucer runs dry, then repeat.

Also, Sarracenia love sunshine. If you can give it at least 8 hours of direct sun per day, the plant will be happy.
Jade wrote: Also thank you very much for the answer. I always worry when I switch to a new type of plant. I’ve been trying to read up on them a lot more intensely this past week.
FYI - Matt and Leah have a great care guide:

Grow Happy and Healthy Sarracenia Pitcher Plants
https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/sarracenia-care-sheet
They said they were trying to ship it by Wednesday so if it is on its way is there a thing I could do to keep it alive until I have time to submerge the pot for that long?

I have to order the slightly bigger trays from Amazon for the width and depth, but I found a mix for under $10 so I’ll just get those. I feel like I’m always going to need more pots and trays in my life anyhow lol.

ETA - I will probably get the trays above, but I’m not sure where to find about 1/4 of an 8” pot. I haven’t seen anything deeper than 1.6” yet. I will specifically try to find one that is 2”. I read your comment wrong the first time. Derp.

I have a white table that my Lowe’s VFTs are on that has room or I can probably use the other table because it’s black but it’s not as large of a surface and the pot will likely cover it, but if not I have a small table topper that is between light and dark blue I could put on there and if needed a bigger one that is mid blue and white to drape over the VFT table. I do see the trap that needs trimmed in the one pic but I didn’t notice it yesterday when trimming for some reason.

And the table the VFTs are on gets direct sun most of the day so I’ll probably put it there or the black table next to it.

I will answer the other posts soon. Gotta run to the store right quick. Thanks to everyone for the feedback and the link to the info from Matt and Leah, their stuff have helped me so much. :)

The black table is the one I was going to use and I figured since the VFTs are on white I’d show that table plus a few plants. I just wanted them up high away from pests.
IMG_6263.jpeg
IMG_6263.jpeg (4.7 MiB) Viewed 324 times
IMG_6265.jpeg
IMG_6265.jpeg (2.59 MiB) Viewed 324 times
IMG_6266.jpeg
IMG_6266.jpeg (2.57 MiB) Viewed 324 times
IMG_6269.jpeg
IMG_6269.jpeg (5.31 MiB) Viewed 324 times

ETA 2 - I think I answered everyone actually. The barn is white so I can move that stand wherever seems best. I thought in front of the fence really because it gets a lot of direct light. I think it gets more than any area in the back of the house which is where I’m able to place them.
By MikeB
Jade wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:58 pm They said they were trying to ship it by Wednesday so if it is on its way is there a thing I could do to keep it alive until I have time to submerge the pot for that long?
If you're in a hurry, soak the pot for 24 hours, then scrub and rinse. Put the Sarracenia in a bowl of water and keep it in the shade until the pot is ready.
Jade wrote: ETA - I will probably get the trays above, but I’m not sure where to find about 1/4 of an 8” pot. I haven’t seen anything deeper than 1.6” yet. I will specifically try to find one that is 2”. I read your comment wrong the first time. Derp.
If a 1.6-inch-deep saucer is the best that you can find, then it will do. You can hunt for a deeper one later.
Jade wrote: The black table is the one I was going to use and I figured since the VFTs are on white I’d show that table plus a few plants. I just wanted them up high away from pests.
If you can't set your hand on the black table at 4 PM after then sun has been shining on it all day, then it's too hot for the plant. I would get a cheap, white, plastic table cloth and throw that over it.
wcrosman liked this
Time for a repot?

These flytraps have been living in these pots for […]

Hello!

Welcome.

Me? I probably don't, just a spidermite issue, b[…]

RO water for Carnivorous Plants

I already have zero water pitchers. I have over[…]

SASE received from ???

I have received a SASE from a South Carolina addre[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1715. I'll PM[…]

Seeds received, thanks to you and the donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!