FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Wolfcub258
Hey everyone
I have 2 cape sundews that I grew from seed last year. They’re getting quite tall now and have outgrown their pots. When I repot them is it okay if I plant them deeper to cover some of the woody stem?
By ChefDean
Decapitate them.
Cut the crown off with about 1/2 inch of stem and pot that up. Cut the stem at soil level and pot that up sideways, pressed into the media with the cut ends covered. Leave the roots alone.
The roots can grow a new plant, probably multiple plants. The crown can grow new roots. The stem can strike new plants as well. The stem is the least likely, but it's worth a shot.
Gary liked this
By Wolfcub258
ChefDean wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:35 pm Decapitate them.
Cut the crown off with about 1/2 inch of stem and pot that up. Cut the stem at soil level and pot that up sideways, pressed into the media with the cut ends covered. Leave the roots alone.
The roots can grow a new plant, probably multiple plants. The crown can grow new roots. The stem can strike new plants as well. The stem is the least likely, but it's worth a shot.
Damn, okay! That’s awesome. How long do the roots usually take to grow on the crown?

Does that work with all species of sundews (for example, Venusta) or just capes?
By ChefDean
Wolfcub258 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:40 pmDamn, okay! That’s awesome. How long do the roots usually take to grow on the crown?
About as long as it takes for the roots to start pushing out a new crown. Maybe bag the old crown while keeping it a little more wet while it does.
Wolfcub258 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:40 pmDoes that work with all species of sundews (for example, Venusta) or just capes?
It should work for any sundew that can easily reproduce from cuttings.
By Wolfcub258
ChefDean wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:23 pm
Wolfcub258 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:40 pmDamn, okay! That’s awesome. How long do the roots usually take to grow on the crown?
About as long as it takes for the roots to start pushing out a new crown. Maybe bag the old crown while keeping it a little more wet while it does.
Wolfcub258 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:40 pmDoes that work with all species of sundews (for example, Venusta) or just capes?
It should work for any sundew that can easily reproduce from cuttings.
Sounds good! I’ll give that a shot. Thanks!
By Gary
Don't hesitate, ChefDean is correct. I snipped three of them last year and I now have 7-8 big healthy Capes. Three new plants grew from one stem. Mine took about three weeks to start showing the new shoots.
By Wolfcub258
Gary wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 2:50 am Don't hesitate, ChefDean is correct. I snipped three of them last year and I now have 7-8 big healthy Capes. Three new plants grew from one stem. Mine took about three weeks to start showing the new shoots.
That’s awesome!! Want to wait for them to get slightly taller first but I will definitely be doing that soon. Right now the stem is around an inch tall which isn’t horrible. Just wanted to know what to do when the time comes
By Fishkeeper
Oh, that's good to know. I'll have to use this when my D. capensis 'Bainskloof' gets too tall, as it seems to be inclined to form a stem more quickly than other capes and I'm not too fond of that sort of palm tree look.
Time for a repot?

These flytraps have been living in these pots for […]

Hello!

Welcome.

Me? I probably don't, just a spidermite issue, b[…]

RO water for Carnivorous Plants

I already have zero water pitchers. I have over[…]

SASE received from ???

I have received a SASE from a South Carolina addre[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1715. I'll PM[…]

Seeds received, thanks to you and the donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!