FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
In researching pollinating Sarrs I read to only use natural brushes as the pollen will not stick to any others. Does anyone know where to find small natural paint brushes? Everything I am seeing are nylon brushes. Thanks for the help.
By ChefDean
The pollen will stick to synthetic bristles, you just want to make sure it's clean. Any chemicals from use or manufacture will be the cause the pollen fails.
andynorth liked this
By andynorth
ChefDean wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:26 pm The pollen will stick to synthetic bristles, you just want to make sure it's clean. Any chemicals from use or manufacture will be the cause the pollen fails.
Thank you. I was beginning to wonder if I need to special order them from somewhere.
By DragonsEye
If you really wanted to be “thrifty”, you can even just go ahead and take a small lock of hair from a pet, yourself, etc. to use for the bristles and just use some tape to tape it around small toothpick/dowel or if you have a small piece of metal that you could crimp, which would be a tighter fit, you could crimp it so that The bristles would hold onto it. Heck I imagine you could even use a flight feather from a bird and it would probably do just as well. You might have to trim it down a bit so it fits that small space
andynorth liked this
By steve booth
Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to direct the pollen on something that is rigid rather than loose and wobbly. Plus you can drop them in a ziplock bag and pop them in the fridge easier than with a paint brush

Cheers
Steve
andynorth liked this
Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Black tips on drosera regia

It's probably nothing, as the whole plant seems to[…]

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

My 'Mimis Kiss' is finally growing pitchers again[…]

Hello , I can help with the Drosera if you are sti[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!